May 27, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks jumped out to an early lead in Game 6 of their Western Conference semifinal against Detroit, thanks to their rejuvenated power play.
But with a minute to go in the frame, Detroit evened the score thanks to it’s fourth line.
That was the story after one period at Joe Louis Arena on Monday night.
First, Chicago. After going 0-for-8 with the man advantage in Games 2-4, the ‘Hawks went 2-for-3 in Game 5 and kept it rolling in Game 6 as Marian Hossa converted on the first PP opportunity of the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The play was temporarily under review to see if the net moorings had come off, but eventually ruled a good goal.
The goal was Hossa’s third power-play marker of the playoffs — he’s the only ‘Hawk with multiple PP goals — and his first goal of any kind since the opening game of this series.
Of note, Chicago is a perfect 4-0 this postseason when scoring at least one power play goal.
But with about one minute to go in the first, Patrick Eaves scored his first of the playoffs to knot the score at one:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Eaves hadn’t scored since the second-to-last game of the regular season — a 5-2 win over Nashville — and only had one point in the series thus far.
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 0
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)