May 27, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks jumped out to an early lead in Game 6 of their Western Conference semifinal against Detroit, thanks to their rejuvenated power play.
But with a minute to go in the frame, Detroit evened the score thanks to it’s fourth line.
That was the story after one period at Joe Louis Arena on Monday night.
First, Chicago. After going 0-for-8 with the man advantage in Games 2-4, the ‘Hawks went 2-for-3 in Game 5 and kept it rolling in Game 6 as Marian Hossa converted on the first PP opportunity of the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The play was temporarily under review to see if the net moorings had come off, but eventually ruled a good goal.
The goal was Hossa’s third power-play marker of the playoffs — he’s the only ‘Hawk with multiple PP goals — and his first goal of any kind since the opening game of this series.
Of note, Chicago is a perfect 4-0 this postseason when scoring at least one power play goal.
But with about one minute to go in the first, Patrick Eaves scored his first of the playoffs to knot the score at one:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Eaves hadn’t scored since the second-to-last game of the regular season — a 5-2 win over Nashville — and only had one point in the series thus far.
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 0
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 14
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 27
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 31
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 31
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)