May 27, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Stoll, the Kings center that’s been out of action Game 1 of the L.A.-San Jose series, says the Torres hit was a “hockey play” — interesting, given that Torres was suspended for the remainder of the series because of it.
“It was a hockey play and a hit that did what it did,” Stoll told the LA Times on Sunday. “It’s over now.
“It’s a game. You play the game, there’s hitting and physical play involved. You take that chance.”
Stoll — who, it should be mentioned, is good friends with Torres and was in Torres’ wedding party — said it took a week to get rid of the headaches that plagued him after the hit, and noted that his former Oilers teammate reached out to him following the incident.
(He did not get into what was said, though.)
Stoll skated for the first time since the injury on Friday, and has done so since without setback.
“It’s fine. Obviously, I’m skating so there’s no setbacks,” he said. “I’m taking it slow. I’ve done this before, earlier on in my career, so I know how it feels and what’s right and what’s not, if I’m off or back to normal or not.
“So just day by day.”
Stoll’s comments will likely draw a lot of response, given not only the severity of Torres’ suspension but the equally severe punishment handed to Sharks GM Doug Wilson for challenging the ruling.
The Sharks were fined $100,000 by the league after Wilson called the Torres suspension “grossly unfair,” adding that the organization “strongly disagreed” with the decision.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)