May 27, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Stoll, the Kings center that’s been out of action Game 1 of the L.A.-San Jose series, says the Torres hit was a “hockey play” — interesting, given that Torres was suspended for the remainder of the series because of it.
“It was a hockey play and a hit that did what it did,” Stoll told the LA Times on Sunday. “It’s over now.
“It’s a game. You play the game, there’s hitting and physical play involved. You take that chance.”
Stoll — who, it should be mentioned, is good friends with Torres and was in Torres’ wedding party — said it took a week to get rid of the headaches that plagued him after the hit, and noted that his former Oilers teammate reached out to him following the incident.
(He did not get into what was said, though.)
Stoll skated for the first time since the injury on Friday, and has done so since without setback.
“It’s fine. Obviously, I’m skating so there’s no setbacks,” he said. “I’m taking it slow. I’ve done this before, earlier on in my career, so I know how it feels and what’s right and what’s not, if I’m off or back to normal or not.
“So just day by day.”
Stoll’s comments will likely draw a lot of response, given not only the severity of Torres’ suspension but the equally severe punishment handed to Sharks GM Doug Wilson for challenging the ruling.
The Sharks were fined $100,000 by the league after Wilson called the Torres suspension “grossly unfair,” adding that the organization “strongly disagreed” with the decision.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)