May 27, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Stoll, the Kings center that’s been out of action Game 1 of the L.A.-San Jose series, says the Torres hit was a “hockey play” — interesting, given that Torres was suspended for the remainder of the series because of it.
“It was a hockey play and a hit that did what it did,” Stoll told the LA Times on Sunday. “It’s over now.
“It’s a game. You play the game, there’s hitting and physical play involved. You take that chance.”
Stoll — who, it should be mentioned, is good friends with Torres and was in Torres’ wedding party — said it took a week to get rid of the headaches that plagued him after the hit, and noted that his former Oilers teammate reached out to him following the incident.
(He did not get into what was said, though.)
Stoll skated for the first time since the injury on Friday, and has done so since without setback.
“It’s fine. Obviously, I’m skating so there’s no setbacks,” he said. “I’m taking it slow. I’ve done this before, earlier on in my career, so I know how it feels and what’s right and what’s not, if I’m off or back to normal or not.
“So just day by day.”
Stoll’s comments will likely draw a lot of response, given not only the severity of Torres’ suspension but the equally severe punishment handed to Sharks GM Doug Wilson for challenging the ruling.
The Sharks were fined $100,000 by the league after Wilson called the Torres suspension “grossly unfair,” adding that the organization “strongly disagreed” with the decision.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 25
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)