May 27, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
For each of the above, their injury dramatically affected their play on the ice. (Want the sad proof? Google one of their names along with the phrase “was never the same” and see all the matches you get.)
With that in mind, let’s hope Rangers defenseman Marc Staal is right about the eye injury he suffered on March 5.
“My belief is that once everything settles down and I get comfortable with it, I’ll never have to be asked about it again,” Staal said today, per ESPN New York. “I don’t think it’ll be an issue.”
Big, steady, and able to log the tough minutes against the opposition’s top players, Staal’s absence from the New York lineup for all but one game of the playoffs put even more pressure on defensemen Dan Girardi and Ryan McDonagh, two blue-liners whose workload was already substantial.
Unfortunately for the Rangers, they didn’t have a Torey Krug up their sleeves.
Only 26 years old, Staal admits his eye is “probably not going to be 100 percent” again; however, “that’s not to say it’s not going to get a lot better. It’s still improving.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 17
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)