May 27, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
For each of the above, their injury dramatically affected their play on the ice. (Want the sad proof? Google one of their names along with the phrase “was never the same” and see all the matches you get.)
With that in mind, let’s hope Rangers defenseman Marc Staal is right about the eye injury he suffered on March 5.
“My belief is that once everything settles down and I get comfortable with it, I’ll never have to be asked about it again,” Staal said today, per ESPN New York. “I don’t think it’ll be an issue.”
Big, steady, and able to log the tough minutes against the opposition’s top players, Staal’s absence from the New York lineup for all but one game of the playoffs put even more pressure on defensemen Dan Girardi and Ryan McDonagh, two blue-liners whose workload was already substantial.
Unfortunately for the Rangers, they didn’t have a Torey Krug up their sleeves.
Only 26 years old, Staal admits his eye is “probably not going to be 100 percent” again; however, “that’s not to say it’s not going to get a lot better. It’s still improving.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 1
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 25
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)