May 27, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
The goalies have it, apparently.
For the first time since 1997, a goalie will grace the cover of EA Sports NHL franchise as New Jersey’s Martin Brodeur and Columbus’ Sergei Bobrovsky advanced to the finals of the ’14 cover vote on Monday.
The last cover goalie was then-Florida netminder John Vanbiesbrouck for NHL ’97.
Released in the fall of ’96, that game came on the heels of Vanbiesbrouck carrying the upstart Panthers to the Stanley Cup finals — he posted a .932 save percentage and 2.25 GAA in 22 games as the Panthers beat the Bruins, Flyers and Penguins before losing to Colorado in the Cup finals.
In the ’14 cover vote, the two goalies advanced by beating forwards in the semifinals.
If you’d like to get in on the voting, head to NHL.com/CoverVote to cast your vote to determine who will grace the cover of NHL 14. Voting ends June 2 and the winner will be announced during the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 53
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 7
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12