May 27, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
The goalies have it, apparently.
For the first time since 1997, a goalie will grace the cover of EA Sports NHL franchise as New Jersey’s Martin Brodeur and Columbus’ Sergei Bobrovsky advanced to the finals of the ’14 cover vote on Monday.
The last cover goalie was then-Florida netminder John Vanbiesbrouck for NHL ’97.
Released in the fall of ’96, that game came on the heels of Vanbiesbrouck carrying the upstart Panthers to the Stanley Cup finals — he posted a .932 save percentage and 2.25 GAA in 22 games as the Panthers beat the Bruins, Flyers and Penguins before losing to Colorado in the Cup finals.
In the ’14 cover vote, the two goalies advanced by beating forwards in the semifinals.
If you’d like to get in on the voting, head to NHL.com/CoverVote to cast your vote to determine who will grace the cover of NHL 14. Voting ends June 2 and the winner will be announced during the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)