May 27, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
The goalies have it, apparently.
For the first time since 1997, a goalie will grace the cover of EA Sports NHL franchise as New Jersey’s Martin Brodeur and Columbus’ Sergei Bobrovsky advanced to the finals of the ’14 cover vote on Monday.
The last cover goalie was then-Florida netminder John Vanbiesbrouck for NHL ’97.
Released in the fall of ’96, that game came on the heels of Vanbiesbrouck carrying the upstart Panthers to the Stanley Cup finals — he posted a .932 save percentage and 2.25 GAA in 22 games as the Panthers beat the Bruins, Flyers and Penguins before losing to Colorado in the Cup finals.
In the ’14 cover vote, the two goalies advanced by beating forwards in the semifinals.
If you’d like to get in on the voting, head to NHL.com/CoverVote to cast your vote to determine who will grace the cover of NHL 14. Voting ends June 2 and the winner will be announced during the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)