May 27, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
The goalies have it, apparently.
For the first time since 1997, a goalie will grace the cover of EA Sports NHL franchise as New Jersey’s Martin Brodeur and Columbus’ Sergei Bobrovsky advanced to the finals of the ’14 cover vote on Monday.
The last cover goalie was then-Florida netminder John Vanbiesbrouck for NHL ’97.
Released in the fall of ’96, that game came on the heels of Vanbiesbrouck carrying the upstart Panthers to the Stanley Cup finals — he posted a .932 save percentage and 2.25 GAA in 22 games as the Panthers beat the Bruins, Flyers and Penguins before losing to Colorado in the Cup finals.
In the ’14 cover vote, the two goalies advanced by beating forwards in the semifinals.
If you’d like to get in on the voting, head to NHL.com/CoverVote to cast your vote to determine who will grace the cover of NHL 14. Voting ends June 2 and the winner will be announced during the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 15
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)