May 27, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
The goalies have it, apparently.
For the first time since 1997, a goalie will grace the cover of EA Sports NHL franchise as New Jersey’s Martin Brodeur and Columbus’ Sergei Bobrovsky advanced to the finals of the ’14 cover vote on Monday.
The last cover goalie was then-Florida netminder John Vanbiesbrouck for NHL ’97.
Released in the fall of ’96, that game came on the heels of Vanbiesbrouck carrying the upstart Panthers to the Stanley Cup finals — he posted a .932 save percentage and 2.25 GAA in 22 games as the Panthers beat the Bruins, Flyers and Penguins before losing to Colorado in the Cup finals.
In the ’14 cover vote, the two goalies advanced by beating forwards in the semifinals.
If you’d like to get in on the voting, head to NHL.com/CoverVote to cast your vote to determine who will grace the cover of NHL 14. Voting ends June 2 and the winner will be announced during the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)