May 27, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Milan Lucic raised a few eyebrows over the weekend in comparing the Pittsburgh Penguins to the Miami Heat.
On Monday, the LeBron James of this analogy — Pens captain Sidney Crosby — took it all in stride.
“We appreciate the compliment,” Crosby told NHL.com. “I’m sure he won’t have too many once we start playing.
“I think it’s a compliment.”
“Think” is probably the operative word here.
Lucic’s comments have been interpreted in a variety of ways — classified from everything as a legit observation (he called Pittsburgh “the Miami Heat of the NHL with all the star power,” which is fair) to gamesmanship (he and the Bruins embracing the underdog role) to a thinly-veiled shot (remember — the first year the Heat were assembled, they failed to win it all).
Whatever the case, Crosby isn’t reading too much into Lucic’s statement overall.
“I don’t know how much is meant by it, but at this point I don’t think it really matters what we’re classified as or what we’re like on paper,” Crosby said. “There’s always going to be comments and things like that said, but at the end of the day, we’ve got to go out there and play.”
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 0
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)