May 27, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers hasn’t played in a game this postseason, but that hasn’t stopped him from getting fined for on-ice antics.
Mayers, who took the pregame skate with the ‘Hawks prior to Game 5 of the Detroit series, has been fined a half day’s pay (roughly $1600) for shooting pucks into the Red Wings goal during warmup, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
“I was trying to get under their skin,” Mayers told ESPN’s Craig Custance. “The league fined me and took the appropriate action.
“I’ll pay the piper.”
Mayers shot around four or five pucks into Jimmy Howard‘s net, all from Chicago’s side of center.
It was a territorial-marking/gamesmanship move and, if you’re looking to somehow make what Mayers did relevant, the Blackhawks did win 4-1, scoring more goals in Game 5 than they did in Games 2-4 combined.
Of course, Mayers didn’t actually play in Game 5, and nobody from Detroit reacted to him firing pucks at their goal.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 1
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 29
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 14
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 76
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)