May 27, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers hasn’t played in a game this postseason, but that hasn’t stopped him from getting fined for on-ice antics.
Mayers, who took the pregame skate with the ‘Hawks prior to Game 5 of the Detroit series, has been fined a half day’s pay (roughly $1600) for shooting pucks into the Red Wings goal during warmup, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
“I was trying to get under their skin,” Mayers told ESPN’s Craig Custance. “The league fined me and took the appropriate action.
“I’ll pay the piper.”
Mayers shot around four or five pucks into Jimmy Howard‘s net, all from Chicago’s side of center.
It was a territorial-marking/gamesmanship move and, if you’re looking to somehow make what Mayers did relevant, the Blackhawks did win 4-1, scoring more goals in Game 5 than they did in Games 2-4 combined.
Of course, Mayers didn’t actually play in Game 5, and nobody from Detroit reacted to him firing pucks at their goal.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)