May 27, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers hasn’t played in a game this postseason, but that hasn’t stopped him from getting fined for on-ice antics.
Mayers, who took the pregame skate with the ‘Hawks prior to Game 5 of the Detroit series, has been fined a half day’s pay (roughly $1600) for shooting pucks into the Red Wings goal during warmup, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
“I was trying to get under their skin,” Mayers told ESPN’s Craig Custance. “The league fined me and took the appropriate action.
“I’ll pay the piper.”
Mayers shot around four or five pucks into Jimmy Howard‘s net, all from Chicago’s side of center.
It was a territorial-marking/gamesmanship move and, if you’re looking to somehow make what Mayers did relevant, the Blackhawks did win 4-1, scoring more goals in Game 5 than they did in Games 2-4 combined.
Of course, Mayers didn’t actually play in Game 5, and nobody from Detroit reacted to him firing pucks at their goal.
- Players leave ice after Peverley collapses on Stars bench 0
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 5
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 18
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)