May 27, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers hasn’t played in a game this postseason, but that hasn’t stopped him from getting fined for on-ice antics.
Mayers, who took the pregame skate with the ‘Hawks prior to Game 5 of the Detroit series, has been fined a half day’s pay (roughly $1600) for shooting pucks into the Red Wings goal during warmup, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
“I was trying to get under their skin,” Mayers told ESPN’s Craig Custance. “The league fined me and took the appropriate action.
“I’ll pay the piper.”
Mayers shot around four or five pucks into Jimmy Howard‘s net, all from Chicago’s side of center.
It was a territorial-marking/gamesmanship move and, if you’re looking to somehow make what Mayers did relevant, the Blackhawks did win 4-1, scoring more goals in Game 5 than they did in Games 2-4 combined.
Of course, Mayers didn’t actually play in Game 5, and nobody from Detroit reacted to him firing pucks at their goal.
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 26
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)