May 27, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
Eliminating the New York Rangers in efficient fashion – five games – in the Eastern Conference semifinal has afforded the Boston Bruins’ coaching staff an opportunity to rest its players.
After a day off Sunday, the Bruins did not skate Monday, the Memorial Day holiday.
Two days ago, the Bruins knocked off the Rangers to advance to the third round of these Stanley Cup playoffs.
But the break is coming to an end, with practice expected to resume Tuesday in anticipation of the Eastern Conference final against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
“[Monday] is the last day [off]. They need to get back on the ice here,” Bruins’ head coach Claude Julien told reporters, as per NHL.com.
“I thought two days was a good thing because we’ll have at least a couple of days — Tuesday, Wednesday — to practice. This time of year there’s not a ton of things you can do with your team more than get them some rest and still have a couple of days to accomplish a lot.”
The Bruins are returning to the conference championship series for the second time in the last three years.
In 2011, not only did they make it to the conference final, but they went on win the Stanley Cup.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)