May 27, 2013, 9:54 PM EST
Eliminating the New York Rangers in efficient fashion – five games – in the Eastern Conference semifinal has afforded the Boston Bruins’ coaching staff an opportunity to rest its players.
After a day off Sunday, the Bruins did not skate Monday, the Memorial Day holiday.
Two days ago, the Bruins knocked off the Rangers to advance to the third round of these Stanley Cup playoffs.
But the break is coming to an end, with practice expected to resume Tuesday in anticipation of the Eastern Conference final against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
“[Monday] is the last day [off]. They need to get back on the ice here,” Bruins’ head coach Claude Julien told reporters, as per NHL.com.
“I thought two days was a good thing because we’ll have at least a couple of days — Tuesday, Wednesday — to practice. This time of year there’s not a ton of things you can do with your team more than get them some rest and still have a couple of days to accomplish a lot.”
The Bruins are returning to the conference championship series for the second time in the last three years.
In 2011, not only did they make it to the conference final, but they went on win the Stanley Cup.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)