May 27, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
The banged-up Boston defense is getting back to full health.
Well, close to full health.
On Monday, Andrew Ference — who hasn’t played since Game 5 of the Toronto series — was skating with Bruins strength and conditioning coach John Whitesides, a positive development in his recovery from a lower-body injury.
“He’s obviously on the mend,” Boston head coach Claude Julien told NHL.com. “But not ready to say he’s ready to go yet.”
The Bruins were able to dispatch of the Rangers without the services of Ference and Wade Redden in Round 2 against the Rangers, as a trio of young blueliners — Dougie Hamilton, Matt Bartkowski and Torey Krug — filled in capably.
(Dennis Seidenberg missed the majority of the series as well, but did return for Game 5.)
It was an impressive performance by the youngsters, but one that will be tough to replicate against the Penguins if they’re again pressed into action.
Pittsburgh boasts four of the NHL’s top six playoff scorers at the moment — a far cry from a Rangers team that only averaged 2.17 goals per game in the playoffs.
Julien wouldn’t say either way if he’d put Ference straight back into the lineup once he becomes healthy.
“At one point you make a decision and it doesn’t mean that it’s an easy one, because it’s not,” he explained. “We’ll deal with it when the time comes.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)