May 27, 2013, 3:13 PM EST
Add Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith to the list of NHL players who aren’t overly thrilled with the officiating.
Per MLive.com, Smith believes the Chicago Blackhawks have been allowed to take a few too many liberties with Detroit players during the Western Conference semifinal series that the Wings lead, 3-2.
“They are getting away with a lot of those after-the-whistle cheap shots or whatever; maybe (referees) don’t see it,” he said.
But with a chance to eliminate the favored ‘Hawks tonight at Joe Louis Arena, Smith also knows the importance of maintaining discipline: “They’re trying to be pesky and whatnot. If you let them get under your skin then they’ve won.”
Chicago’s power play — which hadn’t been very good for much of the playoffs — went 2-for-3 in Game 5, a 4-1 victory for the ‘Hawks.
And related to what Smith was saying, one of the power-play goals was scored after Wings forward Justin Abdelkader took an unnecessary crosschecking penalty.
“We just got to play between the whistles and not worry about anything extracurricular stuff and stay away from the scrums,” said Abdelkader.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 5
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 5
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 20
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 10
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)