May 27, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
Add Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith to the list of NHL players who aren’t overly thrilled with the officiating.
Per MLive.com, Smith believes the Chicago Blackhawks have been allowed to take a few too many liberties with Detroit players during the Western Conference semifinal series that the Wings lead, 3-2.
“They are getting away with a lot of those after-the-whistle cheap shots or whatever; maybe (referees) don’t see it,” he said.
But with a chance to eliminate the favored ‘Hawks tonight at Joe Louis Arena, Smith also knows the importance of maintaining discipline: “They’re trying to be pesky and whatnot. If you let them get under your skin then they’ve won.”
Chicago’s power play — which hadn’t been very good for much of the playoffs — went 2-for-3 in Game 5, a 4-1 victory for the ‘Hawks.
And related to what Smith was saying, one of the power-play goals was scored after Wings forward Justin Abdelkader took an unnecessary crosschecking penalty.
“We just got to play between the whistles and not worry about anything extracurricular stuff and stay away from the scrums,” said Abdelkader.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)