May 27, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson is 40 years old and without a contract for next season. But with the playoff loss to the Penguins still fresh, he’s not ready to decide today if he’ll back for another year as Senators captain.
“It’s been a mentally draining season with the schedule,” said Alfredsson, per Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes. “I just feel like I need to give it a little time.”
He can’t wait too long though. Soon, if he wants to keep playing, he’ll have to start training. And that, he says, takes a lot of dedication — something he’s not sure he has anymore.
Being away from his young family so often is tough, too.
“I love the game,” Alfredsson said Friday, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. “I love to practice, I love to play games. I find the travel really tough with four young kids at home.
“That’s kind of where I struggle personally.”
All that said, if there’s one thing that could bring Alfredsson back, it may be a certain trophy he’s never hoisted.
Alfredsson was asked if he has anything left to prove. His answer: "Win a Stanley Cup."—
Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) May 27, 2013
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)