May 27, 2013, 12:26 PM EST
Daniel Alfredsson is 40 years old and without a contract for next season. But with the playoff loss to the Penguins still fresh, he’s not ready to decide today if he’ll back for another year as Senators captain.
“It’s been a mentally draining season with the schedule,” said Alfredsson, per Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes. “I just feel like I need to give it a little time.”
He can’t wait too long though. Soon, if he wants to keep playing, he’ll have to start training. And that, he says, takes a lot of dedication — something he’s not sure he has anymore.
Being away from his young family so often is tough, too.
“I love the game,” Alfredsson said Friday, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. “I love to practice, I love to play games. I find the travel really tough with four young kids at home.
“That’s kind of where I struggle personally.”
All that said, if there’s one thing that could bring Alfredsson back, it may be a certain trophy he’s never hoisted.
Alfredsson was asked if he has anything left to prove. His answer: "Win a Stanley Cup."—
Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) May 27, 2013
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 24
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 23
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)