May 27, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson is 40 years old and without a contract for next season. But with the playoff loss to the Penguins still fresh, he’s not ready to decide today if he’ll back for another year as Senators captain.
“It’s been a mentally draining season with the schedule,” said Alfredsson, per Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes. “I just feel like I need to give it a little time.”
He can’t wait too long though. Soon, if he wants to keep playing, he’ll have to start training. And that, he says, takes a lot of dedication — something he’s not sure he has anymore.
Being away from his young family so often is tough, too.
“I love the game,” Alfredsson said Friday, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. “I love to practice, I love to play games. I find the travel really tough with four young kids at home.
“That’s kind of where I struggle personally.”
All that said, if there’s one thing that could bring Alfredsson back, it may be a certain trophy he’s never hoisted.
Alfredsson was asked if he has anything left to prove. His answer: "Win a Stanley Cup."—
Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) May 27, 2013
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)