May 26, 2013, 1:57 PM EST
One of the struggles the San Jose Sharks have had in their series with the Los Angeles Kings has been figuring out how to beat goalie Jonathan Quick. Luckily for them, captain Joe Thornton seems to have figured him out. At least he thinks so.
Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury Times hears from Thornton about the way he believes they can beat Quick.
“When you get within 10 feet of him, you’ve got to find the opening, find the hole,” Thornton said. “You hope to use his aggressiveness against him, use the back door.”
Sounds simple enough, right? Get him moving laterally and wait for an opening to rifle the puck by him. Problem there is Quick has been getting progressively better as the playoffs roll along.
The two games he’s lost in this series have seen him give up just four goals total in those match-ups and his numbers in the playoffs are terrifying (1.50 GAA, .948 SV%).
For the Sharks’ sake, they’d better hope their captain’s plan is the one that leads to a comeback victory in the series.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)