May 26, 2013, 1:57 PM EDT
One of the struggles the San Jose Sharks have had in their series with the Los Angeles Kings has been figuring out how to beat goalie Jonathan Quick. Luckily for them, captain Joe Thornton seems to have figured him out. At least he thinks so.
Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury Times hears from Thornton about the way he believes they can beat Quick.
“When you get within 10 feet of him, you’ve got to find the opening, find the hole,” Thornton said. “You hope to use his aggressiveness against him, use the back door.”
Sounds simple enough, right? Get him moving laterally and wait for an opening to rifle the puck by him. Problem there is Quick has been getting progressively better as the playoffs roll along.
The two games he’s lost in this series have seen him give up just four goals total in those match-ups and his numbers in the playoffs are terrifying (1.50 GAA, .948 SV%).
For the Sharks’ sake, they’d better hope their captain’s plan is the one that leads to a comeback victory in the series.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)