May 26, 2013, 1:57 PM EST
One of the struggles the San Jose Sharks have had in their series with the Los Angeles Kings has been figuring out how to beat goalie Jonathan Quick. Luckily for them, captain Joe Thornton seems to have figured him out. At least he thinks so.
Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury Times hears from Thornton about the way he believes they can beat Quick.
“When you get within 10 feet of him, you’ve got to find the opening, find the hole,” Thornton said. “You hope to use his aggressiveness against him, use the back door.”
Sounds simple enough, right? Get him moving laterally and wait for an opening to rifle the puck by him. Problem there is Quick has been getting progressively better as the playoffs roll along.
The two games he’s lost in this series have seen him give up just four goals total in those match-ups and his numbers in the playoffs are terrifying (1.50 GAA, .948 SV%).
For the Sharks’ sake, they’d better hope their captain’s plan is the one that leads to a comeback victory in the series.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)