May 26, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars will look different in 2013-14, whether their new logo was really leaked or not.
They’ll need a new head coach after recently hired GM Jim Nill let Glen Gulutzan go. While Nill noted that he would run a thorough search, it sounds like it’s heating up, as TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that they’ve already had Lindy Ruff in for a meeting and have made contact with Alain Vigneault.
The latter situation could open up the door for an unofficial coach trade of sorts, as Dreger reports that Gulutzan is among the “stable” of coaches that the Vancouver Canucks are considering as Vigneault’s replacement.
While the front office is experiencing some dynamic changes, it’s worth noting that core players Jamie Benn, Kari Lehtonen and Loui Eriksson are under contract next season, so the team’s next coach could be in a promising position.
Especially if ownership allows Nill to take advantage of almost $20 million in estimated cap space …
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)