May 26, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
It’s down to the Western Conference to figure out their business and one half of the Conference finals party could be settled tonight. Dig in gang, it’ll be a good one.
Game 6: San Jose Sharks host Los Angeles Kings (8 p.m. ET, NBCSN/Live Extra)
Los Angeles leads series 3-2
The one question heading into tonight’s game that stands out is whether or not the home team can keep winning. Neither team has won on the road in this series and the Sharks are certainly hoping that holds true or else tonight is it for them. Fortunately for San Jose, the Kings have stunk at the Shark Tank.
In their last seven games in San Jose, the Kings are 0-4-3 including two 2-1 losses in Games 3 and 4. If there’s a silver lining there for L.A. it’s that the games have been that close, meaning things can turn on a dime for them with the proper bounces. Having that happen and actually playing well enough to do it are two entirely different things.
Seeing how the Sharks have played at home makes you wonder what’s in the water that makes their game so much better. Maybe it’s just their power play.
San Jose is 3-9 on the man-advantage at home in this series and considering they’ve only had four goals in those two games, their loaded power play is the key. Their top unit with Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Logan Couture, Dan Boyle, and Joe Pavelski is formidable on anyone’s ice, but even more so on their own.
Perhaps the Kings’ best move to try and win on the road is to play it cool and play it smart and not get caught up in any antics that lead to penalties. The Sharks will do their part to make sure they’re goaded properly. Look for guys like Dustin Brown and Mike Richards to be factors there.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Is Detroit in for another injury-filled year?
Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
That’s a picture of Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)