May 26, 2013, 10:51 AM EST
It’s down to the Western Conference to figure out their business and one half of the Conference finals party could be settled tonight. Dig in gang, it’ll be a good one.
Game 6: San Jose Sharks host Los Angeles Kings (8 p.m. ET, NBCSN/Live Extra)
Los Angeles leads series 3-2
The one question heading into tonight’s game that stands out is whether or not the home team can keep winning. Neither team has won on the road in this series and the Sharks are certainly hoping that holds true or else tonight is it for them. Fortunately for San Jose, the Kings have stunk at the Shark Tank.
In their last seven games in San Jose, the Kings are 0-4-3 including two 2-1 losses in Games 3 and 4. If there’s a silver lining there for L.A. it’s that the games have been that close, meaning things can turn on a dime for them with the proper bounces. Having that happen and actually playing well enough to do it are two entirely different things.
Seeing how the Sharks have played at home makes you wonder what’s in the water that makes their game so much better. Maybe it’s just their power play.
San Jose is 3-9 on the man-advantage at home in this series and considering they’ve only had four goals in those two games, their loaded power play is the key. Their top unit with Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Logan Couture, Dan Boyle, and Joe Pavelski is formidable on anyone’s ice, but even more so on their own.
Perhaps the Kings’ best move to try and win on the road is to play it cool and play it smart and not get caught up in any antics that lead to penalties. The Sharks will do their part to make sure they’re goaded properly. Look for guys like Dustin Brown and Mike Richards to be factors there.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Vancouver is getting in the thick of things.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
The Ducks are 11-0-2 in Anaheim this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
He could miss more time, too.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Ottawa wins shootout by slim margin.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
They’ve won six straight games at home.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
There’s a chance Zbynek Michalek could be back, though.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
First bout for Couturier, fourth for Turris.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Quite a way to end Columbus’ 162-minute shutout streak.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
NHL’s Board of Governors ratified the Canadian TV deal.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
“There are other ways to respond.”
Dec 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Adding some toughness.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Red Wings actually fared well in his absence.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Jon Cooper knows it could be a lot worse.
Dec 9, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
“We’re pretty frustrated,” said Ryan McDonagh.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)