May 26, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
If you put a lot of stock in the 2013 Memorial Cup, then the upcoming draft’s top forwards made a strong argument for the Colorado Avalanche’s No. 1 pick.
Central Scouting’s second-highest (Nathan MacKinnon) and third-highest (Jonathan Drouin) ranked prospects dominated as their Halifax Mooseheads beat top-ranked prospect Seth Jones’ Portland Winterhawks 6-4 to win the Memorial Cup on Sunday.
MacKinnon seemed to rise to the occasion in particular against Portland in this tournament. He had a hat trick in both contests to go along with two assists tonight and one helper in their last meeting. Drouin “only” scored one goal in the first game, but he was stellar as well on Sunday, collecting five assists.
Jones settled for a goal in each game.
Who knows how much this span of contests will impact the viewpoints of the Avalanche’s scouts and the rest of the NHL, but if nothing else, MacKinnon and Drouin have something to tease Jones about when they’re posing for awkward draft photos.
(Photo via the Memorial Cup Web site.)
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 15
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8