May 26, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
If you put a lot of stock in the 2013 Memorial Cup, then the upcoming draft’s top forwards made a strong argument for the Colorado Avalanche’s No. 1 pick.
Central Scouting’s second-highest (Nathan MacKinnon) and third-highest (Jonathan Drouin) ranked prospects dominated as their Halifax Mooseheads beat top-ranked prospect Seth Jones’ Portland Winterhawks 6-4 to win the Memorial Cup on Sunday.
MacKinnon seemed to rise to the occasion in particular against Portland in this tournament. He had a hat trick in both contests to go along with two assists tonight and one helper in their last meeting. Drouin “only” scored one goal in the first game, but he was stellar as well on Sunday, collecting five assists.
Jones settled for a goal in each game.
Who knows how much this span of contests will impact the viewpoints of the Avalanche’s scouts and the rest of the NHL, but if nothing else, MacKinnon and Drouin have something to tease Jones about when they’re posing for awkward draft photos.
(Photo via the Memorial Cup Web site.)
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)