May 26, 2013, 3:21 PM EST
Columbus’ season ended with disappointment at missing the playoffs by such a slim margin, but things are looking up for the offseason.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch hears from team GM Jarmo Kekalainen about how the amount of cap space and number of first-round picks they’ll have in this year’s draft has him excited to get to work. To say he’s got some options this summer is putting it politely.
“We were talking a lot about those three picks, how we would entertain turning one of those picks or even more than one of those picks into something that makes sense for us long-term,” Kekalainen said. “A very bright prospect or a player very young in his career is maybe something that would work, and I’m sure a few other teams are thinking the same.
“We’re in a great spot in that we have draft picks and we have (salary-cap) room, and we have a very keen interest in making our team more competitive.”
Like the Stars, who we talked about earlier today, the world is Columbus’ oyster this summer. How they handle having three first-round picks will be key though. They too might also be able to cash in on teams needing to get under next year’s lowered cap.
Dec 13, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
News and notes from the blue paint…
Dec 13, 2013, 2:37 PM EST
Your choice of bacon, ham or sausage.
Dec 13, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
The Leafs are being forced to play the Blackhawks, the Red Wings can’t win a shootout, Boston’s in Vancouver for the first time since winning the Cup, Lundqvist needs to be better, and we know now that Martin Jones is a goalie for the Kings.
Dec 13, 2013, 2:13 PM EST
Chris Kunitz looks fired up.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:49 PM EST
So, the veteran defenseman could sit again.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Physical forward won his first and only Stanley Cup with Chicago last season.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:40 PM EST
You’re up, Jonas Gustavsson.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:27 PM EST
Won six of its last nine.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
“It’s tough when you have to worry about pucks going in the back of your net.”
Dec 13, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s 7-2 ‘Hawks win.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Now that Jay Feaster’s gone.
Dec 13, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
Pens host the Devils tonight.
Dec 13, 2013, 10:48 AM EST
Incident occurred during Thursday’s Flyers-Habs game in Philly.
Dec 13, 2013, 10:03 AM EST
‘Tis the season to not be joyful about losing.
Dec 13, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
The Badgers are 5-0-1 at home this season.
Dec 13, 2013, 8:15 AM EST
That and all the links to start your day ahead.
Dec 13, 2013, 2:02 AM EST
All three San Jose goals came on the power play.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
But they snapped that 10-game losing streak the other day.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:03 AM EST
His inconsistent season continues.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:36 AM EST
Quite the funk they’re in when it comes to this aspect.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)