May 26, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Columbus’ season ended with disappointment at missing the playoffs by such a slim margin, but things are looking up for the offseason.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch hears from team GM Jarmo Kekalainen about how the amount of cap space and number of first-round picks they’ll have in this year’s draft has him excited to get to work. To say he’s got some options this summer is putting it politely.
“We were talking a lot about those three picks, how we would entertain turning one of those picks or even more than one of those picks into something that makes sense for us long-term,” Kekalainen said. “A very bright prospect or a player very young in his career is maybe something that would work, and I’m sure a few other teams are thinking the same.
“We’re in a great spot in that we have draft picks and we have (salary-cap) room, and we have a very keen interest in making our team more competitive.”
Like the Stars, who we talked about earlier today, the world is Columbus’ oyster this summer. How they handle having three first-round picks will be key though. They too might also be able to cash in on teams needing to get under next year’s lowered cap.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)