May 26, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Columbus’ season ended with disappointment at missing the playoffs by such a slim margin, but things are looking up for the offseason.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch hears from team GM Jarmo Kekalainen about how the amount of cap space and number of first-round picks they’ll have in this year’s draft has him excited to get to work. To say he’s got some options this summer is putting it politely.
“We were talking a lot about those three picks, how we would entertain turning one of those picks or even more than one of those picks into something that makes sense for us long-term,” Kekalainen said. “A very bright prospect or a player very young in his career is maybe something that would work, and I’m sure a few other teams are thinking the same.
“We’re in a great spot in that we have draft picks and we have (salary-cap) room, and we have a very keen interest in making our team more competitive.”
Like the Stars, who we talked about earlier today, the world is Columbus’ oyster this summer. How they handle having three first-round picks will be key though. They too might also be able to cash in on teams needing to get under next year’s lowered cap.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
They’ve struggled after the Olympics.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a tough season in Buffalo.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Anders Lindback gets the start.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Didn’t practice Tuesday.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?
Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
What about the Stars over the Ducks?
Apr 15, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
“He’s relentless,” according to Craig MacTavish.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”
Apr 15, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
The city has terminated the contract.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
You don’t say.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
“That’s not been determined yet,” said head coach Craig Berube.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Even if they beat Minnesota, that question won’t be put to bed.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Union College standout was a third-round pick in ’12.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“We have no qualms whatsoever about a long-term problem with it.”
Apr 15, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
“I’m not naive to the talk. I’ve been asked the question lots.”
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)