May 26, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Halifax Mooseheads forward Jonathan Drouin has something he can hang over the head of the other prospects in this summer’s NHL draft.
Drouin was voted the CHL Player of the Year after a season that saw him dominate the QMJHL with 41 goals and 105 points. He beat out fellow top prospects Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax) and Seth Jones (Portland-WHL). Halifax and Portland faceoff tonight in the Memorial Cup finals.
All three players are likely to be taken in the Top 5 of this summer’s draft in Newark with Colorado likely taking Jones No. 1 overall. From there, it’s debatable how the rest will play out as this year’s draft is deep with talent. If it were any other team than Colorado picking first, Drouin’s honor might change who gets taken with the top pick. As it is, Jones was rated as the top North American prospect by NHL Central Scouting.
The entire NHL Draft will take place on June 28 from Prudential Center in Newark, NJ starting at 3 p.m. ET.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5