May 26, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Halifax Mooseheads forward Jonathan Drouin has something he can hang over the head of the other prospects in this summer’s NHL draft.
Drouin was voted the CHL Player of the Year after a season that saw him dominate the QMJHL with 41 goals and 105 points. He beat out fellow top prospects Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax) and Seth Jones (Portland-WHL). Halifax and Portland faceoff tonight in the Memorial Cup finals.
All three players are likely to be taken in the Top 5 of this summer’s draft in Newark with Colorado likely taking Jones No. 1 overall. From there, it’s debatable how the rest will play out as this year’s draft is deep with talent. If it were any other team than Colorado picking first, Drouin’s honor might change who gets taken with the top pick. As it is, Jones was rated as the top North American prospect by NHL Central Scouting.
The entire NHL Draft will take place on June 28 from Prudential Center in Newark, NJ starting at 3 p.m. ET.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)