May 26, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Halifax Mooseheads forward Jonathan Drouin has something he can hang over the head of the other prospects in this summer’s NHL draft.
Drouin was voted the CHL Player of the Year after a season that saw him dominate the QMJHL with 41 goals and 105 points. He beat out fellow top prospects Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax) and Seth Jones (Portland-WHL). Halifax and Portland faceoff tonight in the Memorial Cup finals.
All three players are likely to be taken in the Top 5 of this summer’s draft in Newark with Colorado likely taking Jones No. 1 overall. From there, it’s debatable how the rest will play out as this year’s draft is deep with talent. If it were any other team than Colorado picking first, Drouin’s honor might change who gets taken with the top pick. As it is, Jones was rated as the top North American prospect by NHL Central Scouting.
The entire NHL Draft will take place on June 28 from Prudential Center in Newark, NJ starting at 3 p.m. ET.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25