May 26, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Halifax Mooseheads forward Jonathan Drouin has something he can hang over the head of the other prospects in this summer’s NHL draft.
Drouin was voted the CHL Player of the Year after a season that saw him dominate the QMJHL with 41 goals and 105 points. He beat out fellow top prospects Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax) and Seth Jones (Portland-WHL). Halifax and Portland faceoff tonight in the Memorial Cup finals.
All three players are likely to be taken in the Top 5 of this summer’s draft in Newark with Colorado likely taking Jones No. 1 overall. From there, it’s debatable how the rest will play out as this year’s draft is deep with talent. If it were any other team than Colorado picking first, Drouin’s honor might change who gets taken with the top pick. As it is, Jones was rated as the top North American prospect by NHL Central Scouting.
The entire NHL Draft will take place on June 28 from Prudential Center in Newark, NJ starting at 3 p.m. ET.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 4
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)