May 26, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Halifax Mooseheads forward Jonathan Drouin has something he can hang over the head of the other prospects in this summer’s NHL draft.
Drouin was voted the CHL Player of the Year after a season that saw him dominate the QMJHL with 41 goals and 105 points. He beat out fellow top prospects Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax) and Seth Jones (Portland-WHL). Halifax and Portland faceoff tonight in the Memorial Cup finals.
All three players are likely to be taken in the Top 5 of this summer’s draft in Newark with Colorado likely taking Jones No. 1 overall. From there, it’s debatable how the rest will play out as this year’s draft is deep with talent. If it were any other team than Colorado picking first, Drouin’s honor might change who gets taken with the top pick. As it is, Jones was rated as the top North American prospect by NHL Central Scouting.
The entire NHL Draft will take place on June 28 from Prudential Center in Newark, NJ starting at 3 p.m. ET.
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)