May 26, 2013, 6:04 PM EST
On the heels of Saturday’s news that Hockey Canada decided to ban bodychecking at the peewee level, Don Cherry had a simple message on Hockey Night in Canada: you’ll be sorry.
You can watch the full segment starting at the 5:45 minute mark of the video, but if you want quick highlights, The Globe & Mail transcribed his comments.
“You [Hockey Canada] have good intentions, but hey listen, the road to [expletive] is paved with good intentions,” Cherry said. “You’re gonna be sorry. You watch and see, you will be sorry.”
Cherry blamed Hockey Canada for making the politically correct decision and expressed the opinion that players won’t know how to protect themselves when hitting becomes legal.
He also provided an alternate plan: have leagues both with and without checking.
Feel free to watch the full segment here. (Cherry loves grinders.)
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)