May 26, 2013, 10:44 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins made a gutsy decision with pending restricted free agent Tuukka Rask going into 2013: let him prove he’s worth a new contract.
While he’s been successful when given opportunities (aside from that one series against the Philadelphia Flyers, maybe?), the 26-year-old’s resume was still pretty light. GM Peter Chiarelli told CSNNE.com that the Finnish netminder has proven himself with this deep playoff run.
“I’m happy for him that he’s playing well and he’s helping the team,” said Chiarelli. “It’s always easier to sign these guys after success. He’s showing some resiliency, which I like, and some durability, which I like.”
While Chiarelli indicates that it will be easier to make the decision to keep him, it certainly won’t be cheaper. The Bruins have the leverage advantage that comes with Rask being a restricted free agent, yet his price tag likely goes up with each playoff victory.
Regardless, Chiarelli likes that Rask is coming through in plenty of make-or-break situations.
“I liked [Rask's] big saves,” Chiarelli said. “We had some real good games where, I’d have to go back and look, but I think we had a chance in every game. The last game, he had those two saves in the third. Not part of sustained pressure. You see a bunch of saves, it’s like point-blank [Ryan] Callahan to [Rick] Nash. Those are big saves. His ability to bounce back from the game before … I like that. It really is about the surges. I like that we’re seeing more of the same.”
Seeing more of it in 2013-14 and beyond could prove costly.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (52)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)