May 26, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
Now that the Bruins and Penguins are set to meet in the Eastern Conference finals, we can get down to the serious business of finding fun storylines to follow. One of the bigger ones? How the Bruins deal with facing the guy they nearly acquired in Jarome Iginla.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli spoke with reporters today about whether it’ll be awkward facing Iginla even in spite of acquiring Jaromir Jagr after missing out on the former Flames star. Matt Kalman of NHL.com has the story.
“It’s been well-chronicled, the Iginla stuff and the Jagr stuff, so we’re happy with who we got. I know he’s been snake-bitten a little bit, but he’s had a lot of chances; he’s created a lot of chances,” Chiarelli said. “But more importantly, in addition to the looks he gives the PP, he wears down the D, and there’s always two guys on him. I think we would’ve been fine with either, but we’re very happy with [Jagr].”
Jagr has yet to score a goal in the playoffs and has just four assists through 12 postseason games. If he’s snake-bitten, the venom is long-lasting as he hasn’t scored since April 21 against Florida. Meanwhile, Iginla has four goals and eight assists in the playoffs for the Penguins.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)