May 26, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
Now that the Bruins and Penguins are set to meet in the Eastern Conference finals, we can get down to the serious business of finding fun storylines to follow. One of the bigger ones? How the Bruins deal with facing the guy they nearly acquired in Jarome Iginla.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli spoke with reporters today about whether it’ll be awkward facing Iginla even in spite of acquiring Jaromir Jagr after missing out on the former Flames star. Matt Kalman of NHL.com has the story.
“It’s been well-chronicled, the Iginla stuff and the Jagr stuff, so we’re happy with who we got. I know he’s been snake-bitten a little bit, but he’s had a lot of chances; he’s created a lot of chances,” Chiarelli said. “But more importantly, in addition to the looks he gives the PP, he wears down the D, and there’s always two guys on him. I think we would’ve been fine with either, but we’re very happy with [Jagr].”
Jagr has yet to score a goal in the playoffs and has just four assists through 12 postseason games. If he’s snake-bitten, the venom is long-lasting as he hasn’t scored since April 21 against Florida. Meanwhile, Iginla has four goals and eight assists in the playoffs for the Penguins.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 38
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 14
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54