May 26, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
Now that the Bruins and Penguins are set to meet in the Eastern Conference finals, we can get down to the serious business of finding fun storylines to follow. One of the bigger ones? How the Bruins deal with facing the guy they nearly acquired in Jarome Iginla.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli spoke with reporters today about whether it’ll be awkward facing Iginla even in spite of acquiring Jaromir Jagr after missing out on the former Flames star. Matt Kalman of NHL.com has the story.
“It’s been well-chronicled, the Iginla stuff and the Jagr stuff, so we’re happy with who we got. I know he’s been snake-bitten a little bit, but he’s had a lot of chances; he’s created a lot of chances,” Chiarelli said. “But more importantly, in addition to the looks he gives the PP, he wears down the D, and there’s always two guys on him. I think we would’ve been fine with either, but we’re very happy with [Jagr].”
Jagr has yet to score a goal in the playoffs and has just four assists through 12 postseason games. If he’s snake-bitten, the venom is long-lasting as he hasn’t scored since April 21 against Florida. Meanwhile, Iginla has four goals and eight assists in the playoffs for the Penguins.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 13
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 23
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 4
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 62
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 63
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)