May 26, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
One thing that came out of the Bruins finishing off the Rangers and advancing to the Eastern Conference finals was settling an issue at this summer’s draft.
By making it that far, Boston now gives up their first-round pick to the Dallas Stars as part of the Jaromir Jagr trade. While the future Hall of Famer has had some awful goal-scoring luck in the postseason, he’s helped the Bruins get deep into the postseason. For the Stars, however, their chance to turn their summer into a big and busy one is there.
According to CapGeek.com, the Stars have $44 million committed to 17 players next season. Having roughly $20 million available to add to the cap means teams looking to shed salary to get under it could come calling the Stars for relief.
New GM Jim Nill will have his hands full in trying to fix things up to help the Stars make the playoffs next season but the cap space on top of having two first-round picks means the summer could be huge for sprucing up a team in need of good things.
Related: Is this the new Dallas Stars logo?
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)