May 26, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
One thing that came out of the Bruins finishing off the Rangers and advancing to the Eastern Conference finals was settling an issue at this summer’s draft.
By making it that far, Boston now gives up their first-round pick to the Dallas Stars as part of the Jaromir Jagr trade. While the future Hall of Famer has had some awful goal-scoring luck in the postseason, he’s helped the Bruins get deep into the postseason. For the Stars, however, their chance to turn their summer into a big and busy one is there.
According to CapGeek.com, the Stars have $44 million committed to 17 players next season. Having roughly $20 million available to add to the cap means teams looking to shed salary to get under it could come calling the Stars for relief.
New GM Jim Nill will have his hands full in trying to fix things up to help the Stars make the playoffs next season but the cap space on top of having two first-round picks means the summer could be huge for sprucing up a team in need of good things.
Related: Is this the new Dallas Stars logo?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)