May 25, 2013, 10:29 PM EST
The list of potential candidates for Vancouver’s vacant bench boss position is being assembled.
The Canucks have reportedly asked Toronto permission to speak with Dallas Eakins about their head coaching gig, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Friedman announced the news during the Hockey Night in Canada panel session of Saturday’s Detroit-Chicago game, confirming the Canucks have interest in the longtime head coach of the Maple Leafs’ AHL affiliate, the Toronto Marlies.
Eakins, 46, has been coaching the Marlies since 2009 and is regarded as one of the AHL’s finest coaches. He took the Marlies to the 2012 Calder Cup finals and has posted a .632 winning percentage in each of his last two seasons.
A former NHLer with over 120 games on his resume, Eakins has ties to the Canucks organization.
He finished his playing career with Vancouver’s then-AHL affiliate, the Manitoba Moose, in 2003-04. His head coach at the time was Stan Smyl, Vancouver’s current senior advisor of hockey operations.
(The ’03-04 Moose team also featured appearances from current Canucks Ryan Kesler, Alex Burrows and Kevin Bieksa. Also on that team? Nolan Baumgartner, currently an associate head coach with Vancouver’s current AHL affiliate, the Chicago Wolves.)
Eakins also has NHL coaching experience, having served as a Leafs assistant from 2005-08.
If the Canucks are courting Eakins, it would be interesting to have heard the conversation between Vancouver GM Mike Gillis and Toronto’s Dave Nonis.
Their relationship was described as “toxic” in April when negotiations to trade Roberto Luongo crumbled at the NHL trade deadline.
Dec 22, 2013, 1:08 AM EST
Not the greatest night for Ilya Bryzgalov & Co.
Dec 22, 2013, 12:44 AM EST
Sounds like he took a puck to the face.
Dec 21, 2013, 11:42 PM EST
They had lost 11 in a row, including six this season.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
They’ve won a franchise-best eight games in a row.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
He notched No. 694, moving to a tie for seventh.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:09 PM EST
A tall order, if you will.
Dec 21, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
Brutal luck for the winger, Columbus and Slovakia.
Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
He was able to skate off with some help from a trainer.
Dec 21, 2013, 7:34 PM EST
Los Angeles took a 3-2 shootout win vs. Colorado on Saturday.
Dec 21, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
Hey, the Islanders get a break.
Dec 21, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
The 51-year-old Washington Capitals coach faces former peers Saturday.
Dec 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EST
He suffered a concussion against Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
He wants to be a number one goalie, even if it’s not with Washington.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
It was against the team that drafted him, the Ottawa Senators.
Dec 21, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
He has an upper-body injury.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Curtis Glencross and Kris Russell are both sidelined.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
No decision has been made though.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
He’ll miss at least a month.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
He has allowed 10 goals in his last three games.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
He’s already missed roughly a month this season due to knee problems.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)