May 25, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
With a recent Stanley Cup championship on their resume, the Boston Bruins aren’t heavy underdogs very often. That might just be the case against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference finals, however.
“No doubt they’re a great hockey club,” Lucic said. “In my mind, they’re almost like the Miami Heat of the NHL with all the star power.”
The Sidney Crosby-Lebron James parallels are pretty plentiful, for one. They were both No. 1 overall picks in their respective drafts, proved polarizing before championships softened some of the criticism and each player seems to add wrinkles to his game to keep defenses guessing.*
Evgeni Malkin makes a decent double for Dwayne Wade, even if “second fiddle” status seems a little unfair to such a strong player. But who’s Chris Bosh? Which player would be a stand-in for “Birdman”? So many questions.
(Hey, fans of these East teams might need some time-killing activities if the West’s second round goes long …)
* – Among other similarities. If Crosby had better injury luck and took his talents to the Florida Panthers, it would get downright creepy.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5