May 25, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
With a recent Stanley Cup championship on their resume, the Boston Bruins aren’t heavy underdogs very often. That might just be the case against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference finals, however.
“No doubt they’re a great hockey club,” Lucic said. “In my mind, they’re almost like the Miami Heat of the NHL with all the star power.”
The Sidney Crosby-Lebron James parallels are pretty plentiful, for one. They were both No. 1 overall picks in their respective drafts, proved polarizing before championships softened some of the criticism and each player seems to add wrinkles to his game to keep defenses guessing.*
Evgeni Malkin makes a decent double for Dwayne Wade, even if “second fiddle” status seems a little unfair to such a strong player. But who’s Chris Bosh? Which player would be a stand-in for “Birdman”? So many questions.
(Hey, fans of these East teams might need some time-killing activities if the West’s second round goes long …)
* – Among other similarities. If Crosby had better injury luck and took his talents to the Florida Panthers, it would get downright creepy.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)