May 25, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
If the Los Angeles Kings didn’t quite seem themselves for parts of this season and into the playoffs, there may be a good reason for that.
Defenseman Matt Greene missed most of the regular season and playoffs with a back injury, but now that he’s made his return to action the team couldn’t be more pleased as Mike Richards tells Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times.
“On the ice, too, just how physical he plays and how hard he is to play against. Even before we got Regehr, too, I think that’s kind of what we were lacking on the back end. We have some skilled guys, guys that move the puck well, but I don’t think you can replace someone who plays that physical and how hard both of those guys are to play against, and Matt coming back is a big boost for us.”
With Greene and Robyn Regehr the physical part of the game is more than set on the back line and guys like Slava Voynov and Jacob Muzzin are thriving thanks to that. It also helps the Kings look like they’ve got some of that championship swagger back as well. That can only spell trouble for everyone else left in the playoffs.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)