May 25, 2013, 9:18 AM EST
If the Los Angeles Kings didn’t quite seem themselves for parts of this season and into the playoffs, there may be a good reason for that.
Defenseman Matt Greene missed most of the regular season and playoffs with a back injury, but now that he’s made his return to action the team couldn’t be more pleased as Mike Richards tells Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times.
“On the ice, too, just how physical he plays and how hard he is to play against. Even before we got Regehr, too, I think that’s kind of what we were lacking on the back end. We have some skilled guys, guys that move the puck well, but I don’t think you can replace someone who plays that physical and how hard both of those guys are to play against, and Matt coming back is a big boost for us.”
With Greene and Robyn Regehr the physical part of the game is more than set on the back line and guys like Slava Voynov and Jacob Muzzin are thriving thanks to that. It also helps the Kings look like they’ve got some of that championship swagger back as well. That can only spell trouble for everyone else left in the playoffs.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)