May 25, 2013, 8:34 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins foiled the Boston Bruins twice around the trade deadline, grabbing Jarome Iginla and Brenden Morrow after the B’s expected to land them. One can confidently wager that will come up more than a few teams now that the two teams will meet in the Eastern Conference finals.
(Neither one of the Western Conference finalists have been determined, although the Detroit Red Wings could change that by beating the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 5 on Saturday).
The Penguins have won the last two series between the two franchises, but those playoff matchups came in 1991 and 1992. Still, the two teams claimed recent championships and have a little bad blood in the past (Matt Cooke probably isn’t that popular in Boston to this day), so this collision between contenders shouldn’t take too long to draw some heat.
That Jaromir Jagr fellow hasn’t been forgotten in Pittsburgh, either.
Each squad ended their second-round series in five games, so there’s a chance that they’ll be well-rested in Round 3. Either way, this clash between black-and-gold teams could very well leave the winner black-and-blue.
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)