May 25, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins foiled the Boston Bruins twice around the trade deadline, grabbing Jarome Iginla and Brenden Morrow after the B’s expected to land them. One can confidently wager that will come up more than a few teams now that the two teams will meet in the Eastern Conference finals.
(Neither one of the Western Conference finalists have been determined, although the Detroit Red Wings could change that by beating the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 5 on Saturday).
The Penguins have won the last two series between the two franchises, but those playoff matchups came in 1991 and 1992. Still, the two teams claimed recent championships and have a little bad blood in the past (Matt Cooke probably isn’t that popular in Boston to this day), so this collision between contenders shouldn’t take too long to draw some heat.
That Jaromir Jagr fellow hasn’t been forgotten in Pittsburgh, either.
Each squad ended their second-round series in five games, so there’s a chance that they’ll be well-rested in Round 3. Either way, this clash between black-and-gold teams could very well leave the winner black-and-blue.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)