Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6

May 25, 2013, 10:57 PM EST

bickellyellgetty Getty Images

After hitting their biggest wall of 2013 at an inopportune time, the Chicago Blackhawks sure looked like the NHL’s top team in Game 5 on Saturday, as they overwhelmed the Detroit Red Wings 4-1.

Let’s chat about the contest.

• The 45-25 shot differential might be a little misleading, as it was just 28-22 in favor of Chicago going into the third. Was the game as lopsided as the 4-1 score implies?
  • It’s obviously “a series again,” to use typical sports terminology. While it’s not literally the case, should the Red Wings look at a Game 6 in Joe Louis Arena as a “must-win”?
  • Jonathan Toews finally found the net for his first goal of the postseason. Is he primed for a big finish to this series?
  • Brent Seabrook looked much better in Game 5 after finding himself in the doghouse in Game 4. Does he have his game back together?
  • Jimmy Howard was excellent, yet the Blackhawks eventually overwhelmed him and the rest of the Red Wings. Can he steal one more for Detroit or is he out of magic?
  • What kind of game do you expect on Monday? Will it be a tight, defensive-minded affair or could it be a high-scoring contest?
  • Most importantly, of course: will we hear “Chelsea Dagger” again during this postseason? That goal song never gets old.
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. sjsharks66 - May 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Detroit wins game 6.

• hammerhead5573 - May 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM

You should probably let the networks know that then, because the Hawks probably wont even fly to Detroit if that is the case. I’m guessing you said that, so in case the wings win, you can say I knew it all along. “look at me look at me ba bla bla” Let me guess the next thing you will say is San Jose is winning in 7 only you wont say that until after game 6 assuming they win game 6.

• devilsarethebest - May 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Man, why are you being critical on the poor guy’s prediction. You’re probably just a hater Hawks fan.

2. zuke13 - May 25, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Anyone know what’s wrong with Kronwall yet ?

• hammerhead5573 - May 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM

That was a pretty tough hit he took. It was clean but tough My guess is Babcock was just being careful and sat him the rest of the game.

• esracerx46 - May 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM

He took 2 shifts after that hit. First shift he was doubled over as soon as the puck dropped. Second shift was a short one on the power play. Wasn’t laboring as bad, but still didn’t look good. Since he was injured you think Bickell gets a chat with Shanahan? That seems to be how he does things which is BS. A suspendable play is a suspendable play regardless of injury.

• yankeehawk - May 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Yeah……he got “Bickelled”

3. fusionix7 - May 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM

If Detroit decides to show up they will win game 6. Also if Abby wants to impersonate Toews do it by scoring goals, not taking stupid penalties. Chicago simply outplayed Detroit in every aspect of the game tonight.

• polegojim - May 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM

That’s spot on fusion… Great Win by the Hawks…

But Detroit was not even remotely as physical as in the last 2

Somebody needs to slap the crap out of Abdelkader… literally… that’s what his effort was tonight.

• Hohohoboken - May 26, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Everybody looked off. This reminded me of Game 1.

• polegojim - May 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Yep – no edge and low intensity

4. badgerbuck - May 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Detroit will win game six,tonight they knew they didn’t need this one

• hammerhead5573 - May 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Yup, that exactly what “the greatest coach in the world” said. Don’t worry about winning tonight. In fact just tank it. We got game 6 wrapped up already. It is impressive how dumb some of you people are.

5. mizbinboston - May 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Helluva win by the Hawks tonight–they came out flying.
    Can’t wait for Game 6 back in Detroit!

Go Wings!

6. blackhawksdynasty - May 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM

One thing we haven’t seen in this series? Both teams playing their best – in the same game. That would make for some great playoff hockey.

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 26, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Only series this year without one OT game, or even a 1-goal margin.

7. jakreidler - May 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Hopefully Toews won’t be able to hide from Zetterberg without last change..

LGRW

• Hohohoboken - May 26, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Yup.

8. dtownbeatdown - May 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM

See when Chicago plays like they did tonight, probably the scariest team in hockey. Wings can’t let their guard down with this team even for a second. They have the stretch pass on lock, and they play the boards better then most teams. Great game by Chicago, piss poor effort by Detroit, especially in the third. I think this will go to seven, but I really hope Detroit can get the one at home to end it in six. Either way, fun, intense series! There is absolutely nothing better then playoff hockey.

• blackhawksdynasty - May 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Let’s take this to game 7 and give this rivalry a fitting end

9. sprtsfan1 - May 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Did Zetterberg play tonight?

10. chootemslug - May 26, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Wings are 4-1 at home in the playoffs.
    Wings are 4-0 after losing a game in the playoffs.
    Babcock has last change.
    Quenneville can’t coach his way out a paper bag at the Joe (lifetime 3-12 in playoff games at JLA)

11. sprtsfan1 - May 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Wings fans and Lions fans are one in the same? I understand that you’re all from Detroit but I didn’t think you were all Homers. Lost some respect for (some) Wings fans for your comments on here tonight. You understand that You beat the Blackhawks at the United Center in game 2 right? So what advantage did Coach Q have tonight over Babcock that he didn’t have in game two? Your “last change” comment is ignorant.

• Hohohoboken - May 26, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I politely disagree with you… “Last change” really does make a difference, whether physically or mentally, when the home team needs that extra something. Match-ups can sometimes be the key to getting your guys on track if you’re a coach.

• polegojim - May 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Seriously Sportsfan????

EVERYONE… but you… realizes the last change is an advantage for the home team.

It’s like the last at bat in baseball… it’s most definitely an advantage.

• dtownbeatdown - May 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Oh come on guy, you are saying you are not biased, or a “homer” in any way towards your home town team! Get real guy, that’s the beauty of being a sports fan in the first place. To say the “last change” is not an advantage and calling yourself a sports fan is ignorance at its finest.

No I do not think having the last change is a huge advantage, and don’t think it wins games necessarily. But it is an advantage nonetheless. Chicago played like they were desperate, so they played tough and rough, I didn’t expect anything less from them. They are a great team, and trust me I did not think Detroit would even get this far. And I am a huge ‘homer” fan of the Wings. But to call Detroit fans crappy fans? I have never been to a worse sports town then Chicago when it comes to being homers and being bias. Your hockey team was one of the worst in attendance up until the 08 season.

• blackhawksdynasty - May 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM

If it wasn’t a strategical advantage, it wouldn’t be a part of the game’s rules. Turn up the volume when u watch these games, and you’ll here most commentators talk about it throughout. Personally, I don’t think it has a huge effect, but there are times when it certainly helps.

12. se7enbladez - May 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM

If the Blackhawks can take it up one more level. They wings should be scared. So the hawks out play you, and you say your team played like crap. You never get out played, you just don’t show up. That is terrible, the reason you looked bad is because the hawks looked so good. This is what the Blackhawks needed.

• polegojim - May 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM

#1 – Yes – facts are facts. Wings weren’t hitting and taking Toews-like stupid penalties.
      #2 – Most Wings fans in this post gave the Hawks credit for outplaying the Wings
      #3 – What level would that be? So you think it was the Hawks plan to not play their absolute best up to this point and see what happens? Right up to the point of elimination?

Every Hawks fan should give you a thumbs down on that theory.

13. icrew29 - May 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Wings are playing old time hockey trying to piss off the Hawks and slow them down. Lets play old time hockey. Drop the gloves and get after it, whoever gets their butt beat will lose the series.

14. wingsfan13 - May 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Hey Sportsfan, last change has a lot to do with it. Zetterberg has been all over Toews and Quinnville was fine with that after a game one win. After Z out worked Toews in games 2,3, and 4 then he was concerned, it wasn’t until last night that he could use last change to get him away from Zetterberg. The Hawks definitely out played the Wings last night, lets see what happens when we have last change. Go Wings!

15. sprtsfan1 - May 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I’m not saying last change has nothing to do with the Hawks winning last night. I’m not saying it’s not an advantage, but some people make it out to be an absolute reason for winning a game which is absolutely not the case. Like I asked, what happened in game 2 when Babcock didn’t have last change? The Wings just flat out played better than the Hawks, period. If the Hawks play the Monday the way they played Saturday, last change or not, Wings don’t have a chance. Howard can only bail out that mediocre defense for so long.Last night may have been the tipping point. 45 shots on goal and that wasn’t even the best I’ve seen the Hawks play this year. It should be a great game regardless.

16. sprtsfan1 - May 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Okay, I’m not going to go ahead and throw insults about not closely reading or comprehending what I previously stated. In no way did I say that having last change was NOT an advantage. It seems to me that people were making last change into an absolute game changer which it most certainly is not. Like I said, in game 2 when the Wings beat the Hawks, the wings did not have the last change. The wings played better than the Hawks. End of story.

I also agree with your homer statement. I love Chicago but you’re definitely wrong about most Chicago fans. There are three types: the pessimists, the realists, and the homers. I hate pessimists because they’re just pissed off people themselves. The realists, which is where I fall. I’m a homer but at the same time I’ll tell you when I don’t think our team is very good. Homers just think that their team is flawless no matter how bad they are, also know as being delusional.

• dtownbeatdown - May 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Okay then maybe you guys are not homers, well unless your team is good that year of course. Band wagon is a better suit for Chicago fans, not all of you. Majority of your fans are pessimists, that don’t know squat about the game, and want to fight you when you cheer for anyone other then their team. Trust me I know I have been to the United Center, (and to cellular field.) I remember in 07 when a Wings game was like a home game there. Where were you realists then? Just keeping it real at home knowing your team sucked? Then when they started doing well all your “die hard” fans came back…. no that would be band wagon fans. I can’t really say if I am a band wagon fan, if so I have been on this bandwagon since I was 5 years old, I don’t know what not being in the playoffs means.

I just think all the homer talk about Chicago on here is amusing because most were not even watching them prior to 08 season… The only thing better about Chicago then Detroit is those hot chicks you guys have shoveling up the ice shavings.

Most Detroit fans are not pessimists, or realists. We are just optimistic… wouldn’t you be if your team has been in the playoffs 22 straight years?

Anyways I wouldn’t expect anything less then this series to go 7 games, regardless what year it is or who is on each others respected teams they have always played each other tough. All the smack talk is fun, but in all honesty I hate that this rivalry will end. Some of the best games I have watched in my 26 years of life were against Chicago. And if you want me to be real, I honestly did not see Detroit taking two games from Chicago let alone three, we are not used to being underdogs. So it is kind of cool that we are in the position we are. Hence all the “homers” coming out of the woodworks lol.

17. steelers4385 - May 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Omg. Lol. Wings werent even playing balls out. You dont just dominate 3 games in a row and all of a sudden not have an answer for the opposing team. Babcock is tge better coach in half the years. Wings take it at the joe.

18. sprtsfan1 - May 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I agree dynasty, well said

19. indianhead1992 - May 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

This is the time when Hawks should take advantage of the Wings aging players. Finally they don’t have two days in between games to get their legs underneath them. Hawks need to come out aggressively and take control early. Hopefully Toews has Game 5 mentality in Game 6.
    Go Hawks!

20. se7enbladez - May 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM

@polegojim So you are saying the hawks played their best game of the year last night? Since they can’t go another level, they must be at their best. I mean come on now, some people played like crap. So they couldn’t have been. Thumbs down. What are you 5. Grow up child.

21. colts419 - May 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I’m surprised the hawks won the 2 they did. Toews is a terrible leader on the ice and his whining and excuse making off of it is sickening, then again I grew up watching Stevie y possibly the greatest leader In American pro sports history

22. se7enbladez - May 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

^ Homer to the max

23. blackhawkslove - May 26, 2013 at 6:25 PM

The Blackhawks won as I said. The Blackhawks will win game six and force a game seven on Wednesday. Momentum swing as of last night. Two powerplay goals and they looked like the #1 seed they were meant to be.

See you all in the WCF.

24. chrisbaron42 - May 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I think that Game 6 is a “must-win” for The Wings because The Hawks will have too much momentum if they get to Game 7. Being at home will help and with Howard still playing very well I think that Detroit has a good shot at winning tomorrow. I missed the first part of the game because of the holiday traffic I hit on the way home from my shift at DISH, but I was able to catch up with a recording. I record every game of the playoffs just in case, and since my DISH Hopper can save up to 2,000 hours of programming I can still record all of my usual shows too.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches