May 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
One thing we know about Shawn Thornton is that he’s very capable of taking care of himself in a fight. We now also know he won’t just drop his gloves at any time.
Thornton met with reporters this afternoon ahead of tonight’s Game 5 against the Rangers and said he had the chance to fight Kris Newbury in Game 4, but opted to keep his gloves on instead. Why? The Bruins had just gone up 2-0 and there was no need to fire up the Rangers with a fight.
Don’t worry, Thornton will throw down if he has to as Dan Rosen of NHL.com shared.
“I’ll get ’em (the gloves) off, I don’t care,” Thornton said. “If people are taking liberties… It doesn’t mean those things (gloves) are sewn onto our sleeves.”
It’s probably wise for any and all of the Rangers to steer clear of Thornton as he’s as tough as they come. Then again, Rangers players have to be as smart as he is should they find themselves up and the Bruins in need of a spark.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)