May 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EST
One thing we know about Shawn Thornton is that he’s very capable of taking care of himself in a fight. We now also know he won’t just drop his gloves at any time.
Thornton met with reporters this afternoon ahead of tonight’s Game 5 against the Rangers and said he had the chance to fight Kris Newbury in Game 4, but opted to keep his gloves on instead. Why? The Bruins had just gone up 2-0 and there was no need to fire up the Rangers with a fight.
Don’t worry, Thornton will throw down if he has to as Dan Rosen of NHL.com shared.
“I’ll get ‘em (the gloves) off, I don’t care,” Thornton said. “If people are taking liberties… It doesn’t mean those things (gloves) are sewn onto our sleeves.”
It’s probably wise for any and all of the Rangers to steer clear of Thornton as he’s as tough as they come. Then again, Rangers players have to be as smart as he is should they find themselves up and the Bruins in need of a spark.
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 6
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3