May 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EST
One thing we know about Shawn Thornton is that he’s very capable of taking care of himself in a fight. We now also know he won’t just drop his gloves at any time.
Thornton met with reporters this afternoon ahead of tonight’s Game 5 against the Rangers and said he had the chance to fight Kris Newbury in Game 4, but opted to keep his gloves on instead. Why? The Bruins had just gone up 2-0 and there was no need to fire up the Rangers with a fight.
Don’t worry, Thornton will throw down if he has to as Dan Rosen of NHL.com shared.
“I’ll get ‘em (the gloves) off, I don’t care,” Thornton said. ”If people are taking liberties… It doesn’t mean those things (gloves) are sewn onto our sleeves.”
It’s probably wise for any and all of the Rangers to steer clear of Thornton as he’s as tough as they come. Then again, Rangers players have to be as smart as he is should they find themselves up and the Bruins in need of a spark.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 0
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 54
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)