May 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
One thing we know about Shawn Thornton is that he’s very capable of taking care of himself in a fight. We now also know he won’t just drop his gloves at any time.
Thornton met with reporters this afternoon ahead of tonight’s Game 5 against the Rangers and said he had the chance to fight Kris Newbury in Game 4, but opted to keep his gloves on instead. Why? The Bruins had just gone up 2-0 and there was no need to fire up the Rangers with a fight.
Don’t worry, Thornton will throw down if he has to as Dan Rosen of NHL.com shared.
“I’ll get ’em (the gloves) off, I don’t care,” Thornton said. “If people are taking liberties… It doesn’t mean those things (gloves) are sewn onto our sleeves.”
It’s probably wise for any and all of the Rangers to steer clear of Thornton as he’s as tough as they come. Then again, Rangers players have to be as smart as he is should they find themselves up and the Bruins in need of a spark.
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)