May 24, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are putting some of their all-time greats in key positions going into next season. Joe Sakic is in charge of “all hockey-related decisions” while Patrick Roy will serve as the team’s bench boss.
Could retired defenseman and former team captain Adam Foote, who will have his number retired next season, join them? Yes, but not in nearly as high profile of a role.
In an interview with 104.3 The Fan, Foote expressed an interest in working with the team and “help the youth,” but right now his priority is coaching his son.
At the same time, Foote does seem excited about the recent moves the Avalanche have made. He thinks that the fact Sakic and Roy accepted their positions speaks to their belief that the Avalanche are committed to winning after slipping from their height during the 1990s and early 21st century.
Foote added that the team is close to assembling a core of players necessary to build a dynasty around, but he also feels that they’re “missing a one, two, three defenseman.” The Avalanche could potentially address that by drafting Seth Jones, although Foote hadn’t watched Jones enough to comfortably declare him the missing piece.
It remains to be seen what role Foote might play in the franchise going forward, if he’s involved at all, but he’s certainly upbeat about the Avalanche.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)