May 24, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
The Colorado Avalanche are putting some of their all-time greats in key positions going into next season. Joe Sakic is in charge of “all hockey-related decisions” while Patrick Roy will serve as the team’s bench boss.
Could retired defenseman and former team captain Adam Foote, who will have his number retired next season, join them? Yes, but not in nearly as high profile of a role.
In an interview with 104.3 The Fan, Foote expressed an interest in working with the team and “help the youth,” but right now his priority is coaching his son.
At the same time, Foote does seem excited about the recent moves the Avalanche have made. He thinks that the fact Sakic and Roy accepted their positions speaks to their belief that the Avalanche are committed to winning after slipping from their height during the 1990s and early 21st century.
Foote added that the team is close to assembling a core of players necessary to build a dynasty around, but he also feels that they’re “missing a one, two, three defenseman.” The Avalanche could potentially address that by drafting Seth Jones, although Foote hadn’t watched Jones enough to comfortably declare him the missing piece.
It remains to be seen what role Foote might play in the franchise going forward, if he’s involved at all, but he’s certainly upbeat about the Avalanche.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)