May 24, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are putting some of their all-time greats in key positions going into next season. Joe Sakic is in charge of “all hockey-related decisions” while Patrick Roy will serve as the team’s bench boss.
Could retired defenseman and former team captain Adam Foote, who will have his number retired next season, join them? Yes, but not in nearly as high profile of a role.
In an interview with 104.3 The Fan, Foote expressed an interest in working with the team and “help the youth,” but right now his priority is coaching his son.
At the same time, Foote does seem excited about the recent moves the Avalanche have made. He thinks that the fact Sakic and Roy accepted their positions speaks to their belief that the Avalanche are committed to winning after slipping from their height during the 1990s and early 21st century.
Foote added that the team is close to assembling a core of players necessary to build a dynasty around, but he also feels that they’re “missing a one, two, three defenseman.” The Avalanche could potentially address that by drafting Seth Jones, although Foote hadn’t watched Jones enough to comfortably declare him the missing piece.
It remains to be seen what role Foote might play in the franchise going forward, if he’s involved at all, but he’s certainly upbeat about the Avalanche.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)