May 24, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
The Colorado Avalanche are putting some of their all-time greats in key positions going into next season. Joe Sakic is in charge of “all hockey-related decisions” while Patrick Roy will serve as the team’s bench boss.
Could retired defenseman and former team captain Adam Foote, who will have his number retired next season, join them? Yes, but not in nearly as high profile of a role.
In an interview with 104.3 The Fan, Foote expressed an interest in working with the team and “help the youth,” but right now his priority is coaching his son.
At the same time, Foote does seem excited about the recent moves the Avalanche have made. He thinks that the fact Sakic and Roy accepted their positions speaks to their belief that the Avalanche are committed to winning after slipping from their height during the 1990s and early 21st century.
Foote added that the team is close to assembling a core of players necessary to build a dynasty around, but he also feels that they’re “missing a one, two, three defenseman.” The Avalanche could potentially address that by drafting Seth Jones, although Foote hadn’t watched Jones enough to comfortably declare him the missing piece.
It remains to be seen what role Foote might play in the franchise going forward, if he’s involved at all, but he’s certainly upbeat about the Avalanche.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)