May 24, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
The Colorado Avalanche are putting some of their all-time greats in key positions going into next season. Joe Sakic is in charge of “all hockey-related decisions” while Patrick Roy will serve as the team’s bench boss.
Could retired defenseman and former team captain Adam Foote, who will have his number retired next season, join them? Yes, but not in nearly as high profile of a role.
In an interview with 104.3 The Fan, Foote expressed an interest in working with the team and “help the youth,” but right now his priority is coaching his son.
At the same time, Foote does seem excited about the recent moves the Avalanche have made. He thinks that the fact Sakic and Roy accepted their positions speaks to their belief that the Avalanche are committed to winning after slipping from their height during the 1990s and early 21st century.
Foote added that the team is close to assembling a core of players necessary to build a dynasty around, but he also feels that they’re “missing a one, two, three defenseman.” The Avalanche could potentially address that by drafting Seth Jones, although Foote hadn’t watched Jones enough to comfortably declare him the missing piece.
It remains to be seen what role Foote might play in the franchise going forward, if he’s involved at all, but he’s certainly upbeat about the Avalanche.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)