May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
There was bad blood between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ottawa Senators, right up until the waning minutes of the final game of the series.
Senators’ tough guy Chris Neil caught Penguins’ defenseman Douglas Murray with a spear between the legs in the third period of Game 5 on Friday night. Neil was assessed a slashing minor. Not only did he spear Murray, but when the blue liner got up off the ice, Neil tried to deliver a pair of punches to Murray, which created a scrum in the Penguins’ zone.
The Penguins defeated the Senators 6-2 and won the series 4-1, advancing to the Eastern Conference final for the first time since 2009.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)