May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
There was bad blood between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ottawa Senators, right up until the waning minutes of the final game of the series.
Senators’ tough guy Chris Neil caught Penguins’ defenseman Douglas Murray with a spear between the legs in the third period of Game 5 on Friday night. Neil was assessed a slashing minor. Not only did he spear Murray, but when the blue liner got up off the ice, Neil tried to deliver a pair of punches to Murray, which created a scrum in the Penguins’ zone.
The Penguins defeated the Senators 6-2 and won the series 4-1, advancing to the Eastern Conference final for the first time since 2009.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)