May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
There was bad blood between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ottawa Senators, right up until the waning minutes of the final game of the series.
Senators’ tough guy Chris Neil caught Penguins’ defenseman Douglas Murray with a spear between the legs in the third period of Game 5 on Friday night. Neil was assessed a slashing minor. Not only did he spear Murray, but when the blue liner got up off the ice, Neil tried to deliver a pair of punches to Murray, which created a scrum in the Penguins’ zone.
The Penguins defeated the Senators 6-2 and won the series 4-1, advancing to the Eastern Conference final for the first time since 2009.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 50
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)