May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
There was bad blood between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ottawa Senators, right up until the waning minutes of the final game of the series.
Senators’ tough guy Chris Neil caught Penguins’ defenseman Douglas Murray with a spear between the legs in the third period of Game 5 on Friday night. Neil was assessed a slashing minor. Not only did he spear Murray, but when the blue liner got up off the ice, Neil tried to deliver a pair of punches to Murray, which created a scrum in the Penguins’ zone.
The Penguins defeated the Senators 6-2 and won the series 4-1, advancing to the Eastern Conference final for the first time since 2009.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)