May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
There was bad blood between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ottawa Senators, right up until the waning minutes of the final game of the series.
Senators’ tough guy Chris Neil caught Penguins’ defenseman Douglas Murray with a spear between the legs in the third period of Game 5 on Friday night. Neil was assessed a slashing minor. Not only did he spear Murray, but when the blue liner got up off the ice, Neil tried to deliver a pair of punches to Murray, which created a scrum in the Penguins’ zone.
The Penguins defeated the Senators 6-2 and won the series 4-1, advancing to the Eastern Conference final for the first time since 2009.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)