May 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
Brenden Morrow gave the Pittsburgh Penguins an early 1-0 lead Friday against the Ottawa Senators.
But the goal will likely garner plenty of debate. Morrow re-directed a pass from defenseman Mark Eaton past Craig Anderson, however the puck last went off the right foot of Morrow as he cut across the front of the net.
The play was subject to a review, but the goal stood, giving Pittsburgh the lead in Game 5 of this Eastern Conference semifinal. A win for the Penguins and they eliminate the Senators and advance to the conference final.
From the replay, it appeared there was no distinct kicking motion. But you be the judge.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“At 6:25 of the first period in the Senators/Penguins game, video review upheld the referee’s call on the ice that Mark Eaton’s shot first deflected off Brenden Morrow’s stick and then his right skate and into the net in a legal fashion. Good Goal Pittsburgh,” stated the explanation at NHL.com.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 10
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 20
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 66
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (103)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)