May 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
Brenden Morrow gave the Pittsburgh Penguins an early 1-0 lead Friday against the Ottawa Senators.
But the goal will likely garner plenty of debate. Morrow re-directed a pass from defenseman Mark Eaton past Craig Anderson, however the puck last went off the right foot of Morrow as he cut across the front of the net.
The play was subject to a review, but the goal stood, giving Pittsburgh the lead in Game 5 of this Eastern Conference semifinal. A win for the Penguins and they eliminate the Senators and advance to the conference final.
From the replay, it appeared there was no distinct kicking motion. But you be the judge.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“At 6:25 of the first period in the Senators/Penguins game, video review upheld the referee’s call on the ice that Mark Eaton’s shot first deflected off Brenden Morrow’s stick and then his right skate and into the net in a legal fashion. Good Goal Pittsburgh,” stated the explanation at NHL.com.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 1
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)