May 24, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
The postseason form of NHL officiating was under the microscope again on Friday in Pittsburgh during Game 5 of the Penguins-Senators series.
After a skate-directed goal from Brenden Morrow was allowed to stand as the game’s opening marker, referee Dan O’Rourke whistled Pens captain Sidney Crosby for a hooking penalty on this incident with Ottawa’s Eric Condra:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The call drew quite the reaction on Twitter:
Sidney Crosby just got two minutes for having a stick and briefly placing it somewhere near Eric Condra.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) May 25, 2013
That is just a terrible penalty call on Sidney Crosby.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) May 25, 2013
Pittsburgh killed the subsequent power play and finished the first frame up 1-0. The Pens are now just 40 minutes away from advancing to their first Eastern Conference finals since 2009.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 25
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 12
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)