May 24, 2013, 8:41 PM EST
The postseason form of NHL officiating was under the microscope again on Friday in Pittsburgh during Game 5 of the Penguins-Senators series.
After a skate-directed goal from Brenden Morrow was allowed to stand as the game’s opening marker, referee Dan O’Rourke whistled Pens captain Sidney Crosby for a hooking penalty on this incident with Ottawa’s Eric Condra:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The call drew quite the reaction on Twitter:
Sidney Crosby just got two minutes for having a stick and briefly placing it somewhere near Eric Condra.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) May 25, 2013
That is just a terrible penalty call on Sidney Crosby.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) May 25, 2013
Pittsburgh killed the subsequent power play and finished the first frame up 1-0. The Pens are now just 40 minutes away from advancing to their first Eastern Conference finals since 2009.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)