May 24, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
The postseason form of NHL officiating was under the microscope again on Friday in Pittsburgh during Game 5 of the Penguins-Senators series.
After a skate-directed goal from Brenden Morrow was allowed to stand as the game’s opening marker, referee Dan O’Rourke whistled Pens captain Sidney Crosby for a hooking penalty on this incident with Ottawa’s Eric Condra:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The call drew quite the reaction on Twitter:
Sidney Crosby just got two minutes for having a stick and briefly placing it somewhere near Eric Condra.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) May 25, 2013
That is just a terrible penalty call on Sidney Crosby.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) May 25, 2013
Pittsburgh killed the subsequent power play and finished the first frame up 1-0. The Pens are now just 40 minutes away from advancing to their first Eastern Conference finals since 2009.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)