May 24, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
The postseason form of NHL officiating was under the microscope again on Friday in Pittsburgh during Game 5 of the Penguins-Senators series.
After a skate-directed goal from Brenden Morrow was allowed to stand as the game’s opening marker, referee Dan O’Rourke whistled Pens captain Sidney Crosby for a hooking penalty on this incident with Ottawa’s Eric Condra:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The call drew quite the reaction on Twitter:
Sidney Crosby just got two minutes for having a stick and briefly placing it somewhere near Eric Condra.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) May 25, 2013
That is just a terrible penalty call on Sidney Crosby.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) May 25, 2013
Pittsburgh killed the subsequent power play and finished the first frame up 1-0. The Pens are now just 40 minutes away from advancing to their first Eastern Conference finals since 2009.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 4
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)