May 24, 2013, 8:41 PM EST
The postseason form of NHL officiating was under the microscope again on Friday in Pittsburgh during Game 5 of the Penguins-Senators series.
After a skate-directed goal from Brenden Morrow was allowed to stand as the game’s opening marker, referee Dan O’Rourke whistled Pens captain Sidney Crosby for a hooking penalty on this incident with Ottawa’s Eric Condra:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The call drew quite the reaction on Twitter:
Sidney Crosby just got two minutes for having a stick and briefly placing it somewhere near Eric Condra.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) May 25, 2013
That is just a terrible penalty call on Sidney Crosby.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) May 25, 2013
Pittsburgh killed the subsequent power play and finished the first frame up 1-0. The Pens are now just 40 minutes away from advancing to their first Eastern Conference finals since 2009.
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 4
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 4
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)