May 24, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
The New York Rangers scored their first power play goal of the Eastern Conference semifinals in Thursday’s Game 4 win over Boston, and looked more dynamic with the man advantage than any of the previous three games of the series.
Head coach John Tortorella thinks he knows why — he wasn’t using Ryan McDonagh enough.
McDonagh, who logged 3:32 of power-play ice time in Game 4 (only d-man with more was Michael Del Zotto) was a major catalyst, according to Torts.
“I think he helped us on the power play,” Tortorella said on Friday. “It’s me, I screwed that up not using him early enough and I should have.”
McDonagh was a virtual non-factor with the man advantage during the regular season. He averaged just 38 seconds of power play time per night and had just one point — an assist — in 47 games.
But with the Rangers all but out of ideas (they were 2-for-38 heading into last night), Torts decided to give McDonagh a shot, and the move paid off. He had two of New York’s six power-play shots on the night, and looked comfortable manning the point.
Tortorella was full of praise for McDonagh’s ability to rise to the occasion.
“He’s probably one of the most intense, competitive people, players,” Torts explained. “He just competes.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)