May 24, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Jonathan Toews, the prototypical captain and 2013 finalist for the Mark Messier Leadership Award, needs to pull himself together and rescue the Chicago Blackhawks from a 3-1 series deficit.
That’s the underlying message in a pair of articles in Chicago newspapers after Toews — who still hasn’t scored a goal in the playoffs — took three penalties in the second period of last night’s 2-0 loss to the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena.
Jonathan Toews lost it.
The Blackhawks captain lost his composure. Lost a period. Maybe lost a playoff series and a season.
It was costly and embarrassing, and those two points are more than Toews has in this series against Detroit.
And here’s Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Sun-Times:
It was almost unimaginable that a player normally so calm and collected could leave such a huge crater on the ice.
Toews’ struggles are reminiscent of last year’s playoffs when Sidney Crosby lost his cool against the Flyers and the favored Penguins were eliminated in the first round. Both players are young, Canadian captains with Stanley Cup rings and reputations for coming up big when it counts, whether representing club or country.
Of course, they’re also human.
“Emotions run high in some of these games, and my stick got a little loose there,” Toews said. “I was playing hard. Sometimes that happens.”
Game 5 of the series goes Saturday in Chicago.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 4
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 29
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 75
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)