May 24, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Jonathan Toews, the prototypical captain and 2013 finalist for the Mark Messier Leadership Award, needs to pull himself together and rescue the Chicago Blackhawks from a 3-1 series deficit.
That’s the underlying message in a pair of articles in Chicago newspapers after Toews — who still hasn’t scored a goal in the playoffs — took three penalties in the second period of last night’s 2-0 loss to the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena.
Jonathan Toews lost it.
The Blackhawks captain lost his composure. Lost a period. Maybe lost a playoff series and a season.
It was costly and embarrassing, and those two points are more than Toews has in this series against Detroit.
And here’s Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Sun-Times:
It was almost unimaginable that a player normally so calm and collected could leave such a huge crater on the ice.
Toews’ struggles are reminiscent of last year’s playoffs when Sidney Crosby lost his cool against the Flyers and the favored Penguins were eliminated in the first round. Both players are young, Canadian captains with Stanley Cup rings and reputations for coming up big when it counts, whether representing club or country.
Of course, they’re also human.
“Emotions run high in some of these games, and my stick got a little loose there,” Toews said. “I was playing hard. Sometimes that happens.”
Game 5 of the series goes Saturday in Chicago.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)