May 24, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Jonathan Toews, the prototypical captain and 2013 finalist for the Mark Messier Leadership Award, needs to pull himself together and rescue the Chicago Blackhawks from a 3-1 series deficit.
That’s the underlying message in a pair of articles in Chicago newspapers after Toews — who still hasn’t scored a goal in the playoffs — took three penalties in the second period of last night’s 2-0 loss to the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena.
Jonathan Toews lost it.
The Blackhawks captain lost his composure. Lost a period. Maybe lost a playoff series and a season.
It was costly and embarrassing, and those two points are more than Toews has in this series against Detroit.
And here’s Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Sun-Times:
It was almost unimaginable that a player normally so calm and collected could leave such a huge crater on the ice.
Toews’ struggles are reminiscent of last year’s playoffs when Sidney Crosby lost his cool against the Flyers and the favored Penguins were eliminated in the first round. Both players are young, Canadian captains with Stanley Cup rings and reputations for coming up big when it counts, whether representing club or country.
Of course, they’re also human.
“Emotions run high in some of these games, and my stick got a little loose there,” Toews said. “I was playing hard. Sometimes that happens.”
Game 5 of the series goes Saturday in Chicago.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)