May 24, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Jonathan Toews, the prototypical captain and 2013 finalist for the Mark Messier Leadership Award, needs to pull himself together and rescue the Chicago Blackhawks from a 3-1 series deficit.
That’s the underlying message in a pair of articles in Chicago newspapers after Toews — who still hasn’t scored a goal in the playoffs — took three penalties in the second period of last night’s 2-0 loss to the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena.
Jonathan Toews lost it.
The Blackhawks captain lost his composure. Lost a period. Maybe lost a playoff series and a season.
It was costly and embarrassing, and those two points are more than Toews has in this series against Detroit.
And here’s Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Sun-Times:
It was almost unimaginable that a player normally so calm and collected could leave such a huge crater on the ice.
Toews’ struggles are reminiscent of last year’s playoffs when Sidney Crosby lost his cool against the Flyers and the favored Penguins were eliminated in the first round. Both players are young, Canadian captains with Stanley Cup rings and reputations for coming up big when it counts, whether representing club or country.
Of course, they’re also human.
“Emotions run high in some of these games, and my stick got a little loose there,” Toews said. “I was playing hard. Sometimes that happens.”
Game 5 of the series goes Saturday in Chicago.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)