May 24, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Jonathan Toews, the prototypical captain and 2013 finalist for the Mark Messier Leadership Award, needs to pull himself together and rescue the Chicago Blackhawks from a 3-1 series deficit.
That’s the underlying message in a pair of articles in Chicago newspapers after Toews — who still hasn’t scored a goal in the playoffs — took three penalties in the second period of last night’s 2-0 loss to the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena.
Jonathan Toews lost it.
The Blackhawks captain lost his composure. Lost a period. Maybe lost a playoff series and a season.
It was costly and embarrassing, and those two points are more than Toews has in this series against Detroit.
And here’s Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Sun-Times:
It was almost unimaginable that a player normally so calm and collected could leave such a huge crater on the ice.
Toews’ struggles are reminiscent of last year’s playoffs when Sidney Crosby lost his cool against the Flyers and the favored Penguins were eliminated in the first round. Both players are young, Canadian captains with Stanley Cup rings and reputations for coming up big when it counts, whether representing club or country.
Of course, they’re also human.
“Emotions run high in some of these games, and my stick got a little loose there,” Toews said. “I was playing hard. Sometimes that happens.”
Game 5 of the series goes Saturday in Chicago.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)