May 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Yesterday, Patrick Roy was announced as the newest coach of the Colorado Avalanche.
And it didn’t take him long to get down to work.
Roy has already contacted at least one potential assistant coaching candidate, according to TVA’s Louis Jean — André Tourigny, the head coach of QMJHL Rouyn-Noranda.
Tourigny confirmed Roy reached out to gauge his level of interest in an assistant coaching position (Tourigny is indeed interested), but noted that Roy made no promises or guarantees of anything, even an interview.
Like Roy with QMHJL Quebec, Tourigny held both the coach and GM label with Rouyn-Noranda, the club he’s worked for since 2003.
As for other potential assistants?
– Adam Foote, Roy’s ex-Avalanche teammate (who publicly endorsed the hire) won’t be joining the staff, according to the Denver Post. He wants to keep coaching his son in a Denver-area youth league.
– Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun suggested veteran NHLer Mike Keane as a candidate.
– There’s still no word on what’ll happen to assistant coach Tim Army and player development coach Adam Deadmarsh. Both worked under Sacco, as did David Quinn (who left to take the Boston University head coaching gig) and goalie coach Kirk McLean (who was let go).
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)