May 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Yesterday, Patrick Roy was announced as the newest coach of the Colorado Avalanche.
And it didn’t take him long to get down to work.
Roy has already contacted at least one potential assistant coaching candidate, according to TVA’s Louis Jean — André Tourigny, the head coach of QMJHL Rouyn-Noranda.
Tourigny confirmed Roy reached out to gauge his level of interest in an assistant coaching position (Tourigny is indeed interested), but noted that Roy made no promises or guarantees of anything, even an interview.
Like Roy with QMHJL Quebec, Tourigny held both the coach and GM label with Rouyn-Noranda, the club he’s worked for since 2003.
As for other potential assistants?
— Adam Foote, Roy’s ex-Avalanche teammate (who publicly endorsed the hire) won’t be joining the staff, according to the Denver Post. He wants to keep coaching his son in a Denver-area youth league.
— Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun suggested veteran NHLer Mike Keane as a candidate.
— There’s still no word on what’ll happen to assistant coach Tim Army and player development coach Adam Deadmarsh. Both worked under Sacco, as did David Quinn (who left to take the Boston University head coaching gig) and goalie coach Kirk McLean (who was let go).
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 16
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)