May 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Yesterday, Patrick Roy was announced as the newest coach of the Colorado Avalanche.
And it didn’t take him long to get down to work.
Roy has already contacted at least one potential assistant coaching candidate, according to TVA’s Louis Jean — André Tourigny, the head coach of QMJHL Rouyn-Noranda.
Tourigny confirmed Roy reached out to gauge his level of interest in an assistant coaching position (Tourigny is indeed interested), but noted that Roy made no promises or guarantees of anything, even an interview.
Like Roy with QMHJL Quebec, Tourigny held both the coach and GM label with Rouyn-Noranda, the club he’s worked for since 2003.
As for other potential assistants?
– Adam Foote, Roy’s ex-Avalanche teammate (who publicly endorsed the hire) won’t be joining the staff, according to the Denver Post. He wants to keep coaching his son in a Denver-area youth league.
– Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun suggested veteran NHLer Mike Keane as a candidate.
– There’s still no word on what’ll happen to assistant coach Tim Army and player development coach Adam Deadmarsh. Both worked under Sacco, as did David Quinn (who left to take the Boston University head coaching gig) and goalie coach Kirk McLean (who was let go).
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 4
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 18
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)