May 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Yesterday, Patrick Roy was announced as the newest coach of the Colorado Avalanche.
And it didn’t take him long to get down to work.
Roy has already contacted at least one potential assistant coaching candidate, according to TVA’s Louis Jean — André Tourigny, the head coach of QMJHL Rouyn-Noranda.
Tourigny confirmed Roy reached out to gauge his level of interest in an assistant coaching position (Tourigny is indeed interested), but noted that Roy made no promises or guarantees of anything, even an interview.
Like Roy with QMHJL Quebec, Tourigny held both the coach and GM label with Rouyn-Noranda, the club he’s worked for since 2003.
As for other potential assistants?
– Adam Foote, Roy’s ex-Avalanche teammate (who publicly endorsed the hire) won’t be joining the staff, according to the Denver Post. He wants to keep coaching his son in a Denver-area youth league.
– Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun suggested veteran NHLer Mike Keane as a candidate.
– There’s still no word on what’ll happen to assistant coach Tim Army and player development coach Adam Deadmarsh. Both worked under Sacco, as did David Quinn (who left to take the Boston University head coaching gig) and goalie coach Kirk McLean (who was let go).
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)