May 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Yesterday, Patrick Roy was announced as the newest coach of the Colorado Avalanche.
And it didn’t take him long to get down to work.
Roy has already contacted at least one potential assistant coaching candidate, according to TVA’s Louis Jean — André Tourigny, the head coach of QMJHL Rouyn-Noranda.
Tourigny confirmed Roy reached out to gauge his level of interest in an assistant coaching position (Tourigny is indeed interested), but noted that Roy made no promises or guarantees of anything, even an interview.
Like Roy with QMHJL Quebec, Tourigny held both the coach and GM label with Rouyn-Noranda, the club he’s worked for since 2003.
As for other potential assistants?
– Adam Foote, Roy’s ex-Avalanche teammate (who publicly endorsed the hire) won’t be joining the staff, according to the Denver Post. He wants to keep coaching his son in a Denver-area youth league.
– Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun suggested veteran NHLer Mike Keane as a candidate.
– There’s still no word on what’ll happen to assistant coach Tim Army and player development coach Adam Deadmarsh. Both worked under Sacco, as did David Quinn (who left to take the Boston University head coaching gig) and goalie coach Kirk McLean (who was let go).
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)