May 24, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
While we’re not usually in the business of announcing the hirings and firings of teams’ training staffs, this one is kind of noteworthy — the Nashville Predators have fired head athletic trainer Dan Redmond, according to The Tennessean.
Redmond had been with the organization since its inception, working 13 years and over 1,500 NHL contests for the club.
His dismissal is the second notable firing over the last few days. Earlier this week, the Predators parted ways with assistant coach Peter Horachek, who had been Barry Trotz’s right-hand man for the last nine years.
He was replaced by longtime NHL defenseman and Team USA coach Phil Housley.
That Nashville has pulled the trigger on two moves in quick succession suggests there may be more to follow.
Traditionally, the club has been a model of patience and loyalty — Trotz, GM David Poile, assistant GM Paul Fenton and hockey ops adviser Brent Peterson have all been with the organization since day one — but, after missing the playoffs for the first time in four years, the Preds appear ready for some changes.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 44
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)