May 24, 2013, 3:14 PM EST
While we’re not usually in the business of announcing the hirings and firings of teams’ training staffs, this one is kind of noteworthy — the Nashville Predators have fired head athletic trainer Dan Redmond, according to The Tennessean.
Redmond had been with the organization since its inception, working 13 years and over 1,500 NHL contests for the club.
His dismissal is the second notable firing over the last few days. Earlier this week, the Predators parted ways with assistant coach Peter Horachek, who had been Barry Trotz’s right-hand man for the last nine years.
He was replaced by longtime NHL defenseman and Team USA coach Phil Housley.
That Nashville has pulled the trigger on two moves in quick succession suggests there may be more to follow.
Traditionally, the club has been a model of patience and loyalty — Trotz, GM David Poile, assistant GM Paul Fenton and hockey ops adviser Brent Peterson have all been with the organization since day one — but, after missing the playoffs for the first time in four years, the Preds appear ready for some changes.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 3
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)