May 24, 2013, 3:14 PM EST
While we’re not usually in the business of announcing the hirings and firings of teams’ training staffs, this one is kind of noteworthy — the Nashville Predators have fired head athletic trainer Dan Redmond, according to The Tennessean.
Redmond had been with the organization since its inception, working 13 years and over 1,500 NHL contests for the club.
His dismissal is the second notable firing over the last few days. Earlier this week, the Predators parted ways with assistant coach Peter Horachek, who had been Barry Trotz’s right-hand man for the last nine years.
He was replaced by longtime NHL defenseman and Team USA coach Phil Housley.
That Nashville has pulled the trigger on two moves in quick succession suggests there may be more to follow.
Traditionally, the club has been a model of patience and loyalty — Trotz, GM David Poile, assistant GM Paul Fenton and hockey ops adviser Brent Peterson have all been with the organization since day one — but, after missing the playoffs for the first time in four years, the Preds appear ready for some changes.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)