May 24, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
It appears Daniel Alfredsson‘s comments just won’t go away.
The Senators captain, who following a 7-3 loss in Game 4 said “probably not” when asked if Ottawa could come back against the Pens, is still feeling the blowback from that controversial remark.
“I don’t see our leader, our captain talking like that,” Dupuis told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Ever.”
Alfredsson has remained unapologetic for saying what he did, and hasn’t backed off his statements.
If anything, he says they were perhaps taken out of context:
Whatever the case, it was clear his Senators teammates were sticking with him.
“The odds makers aren’t going to give us a chance to win this series, and maybe that’s how we like it,” Jason Spezza told the Globe and Mail. “Maybe that’s how we’ve played our best hockey all year. I think that’s what [Alfredsson] was getting at.”
Defenseman Marc Methot took it a step further.
“I’ll say this: Alfie’s an extremely intelligent individual. He doesn’t sugarcoat anything, he’s usually right to the point,” Methot said. “He’s great with all the young guys in terms of helping, he’s a teacher.
“Does it shock me? Probably not so much.”
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)