May 24, 2013, 11:15 PM EST
The Eastern Conference semifinal series between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ottawa Senators was, for the most part, a story of two teams at different points in their respective evolutions.
The Penguins’ core has Stanley Cup experience, including a championship ring, and the 2013 team, upgraded prior to the trade deadline, is showing every sign of returning to the final.
The Senators have a young nucleus of players, with eyes toward the future.
The Senators were taken to school in this series. The Penguins won Game 5 by a final score of 6-2, taking the series 4-1 over Ottawa.
The Penguins are now off to the Eastern Conference final for the first time since 2009, when they won the Stanley Cup.
For the Senators, it’s a stern learning experience.
“I think we got a lesson on what it takes to keep playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs from a very good team,” said Senators’ head coach Paul MacLean, as per Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.
“I hope they don’t bill us for the clinic.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)