May 24, 2013, 2:28 AM EDT
It was a shutout for Jonathan Quick.
But the L.A. Kings’ goalie, the Conn Smythe winner from a year ago, didn’t have to anything really extraordinary Thursday night.
The Kings skated to a 3-0 win over the San Jose Sharks in Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinal, taking a 3-2 series lead and moving to within one win of a berth in the conference final.
The Sharks had just 11 shots on Quick through two periods, and 24 in total. But other than a Joe Pavelski chance in the final seconds of the third period, the degree of difficulty for Quick on this night was minimal.
“I didn’t think we tested him a lot tonight. There are a number of goalies in the league that could have performed that way tonight…he didn’t have to work hard,” said Sharks’ head coach Todd McLellan, as per a pair of tweets from Curtis Zupke of NHL.com.
There were differing opinions on that, however.
“We definitely had our chances. We’ve just got to bear down,” the Sharks’ Joe Thornton told the L.A. Times.
Quick takes over the Kings’ franchise lead in playoff wins with 27, moving one ahead of Kelly Hrudey.
He also has three shutouts in these playoffs, which is tops in the NHL.
In fact, a quick glance at the stats shows Quick the leader in three additional major categories, including wins (7 – tied with Jimmy Howard and Tuukka Rask); goals-against average (1.50); and save percentage (.948).
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 1
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 9
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 23
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 84
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 99
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)