May 24, 2013, 2:28 AM EDT
It was a shutout for Jonathan Quick.
But the L.A. Kings’ goalie, the Conn Smythe winner from a year ago, didn’t have to anything really extraordinary Thursday night.
The Kings skated to a 3-0 win over the San Jose Sharks in Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinal, taking a 3-2 series lead and moving to within one win of a berth in the conference final.
The Sharks had just 11 shots on Quick through two periods, and 24 in total. But other than a Joe Pavelski chance in the final seconds of the third period, the degree of difficulty for Quick on this night was minimal.
“I didn’t think we tested him a lot tonight. There are a number of goalies in the league that could have performed that way tonight…he didn’t have to work hard,” said Sharks’ head coach Todd McLellan, as per a pair of tweets from Curtis Zupke of NHL.com.
There were differing opinions on that, however.
“We definitely had our chances. We’ve just got to bear down,” the Sharks’ Joe Thornton told the L.A. Times.
Quick takes over the Kings’ franchise lead in playoff wins with 27, moving one ahead of Kelly Hrudey.
He also has three shutouts in these playoffs, which is tops in the NHL.
In fact, a quick glance at the stats shows Quick the leader in three additional major categories, including wins (7 – tied with Jimmy Howard and Tuukka Rask); goals-against average (1.50); and save percentage (.948).
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)