May 24, 2013, 2:28 AM EST
It was a shutout for Jonathan Quick.
But the L.A. Kings’ goalie, the Conn Smythe winner from a year ago, didn’t have to anything really extraordinary Thursday night.
The Kings skated to a 3-0 win over the San Jose Sharks in Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinal, taking a 3-2 series lead and moving to within one win of a berth in the conference final.
The Sharks had just 11 shots on Quick through two periods, and 24 in total. But other than a Joe Pavelski chance in the final seconds of the third period, the degree of difficulty for Quick on this night was minimal.
“I didn’t think we tested him a lot tonight. There are a number of goalies in the league that could have performed that way tonight…he didn’t have to work hard,” said Sharks’ head coach Todd McLellan, as per a pair of tweets from Curtis Zupke of NHL.com.
There were differing opinions on that, however.
“We definitely had our chances. We’ve just got to bear down,” the Sharks’ Joe Thornton told the L.A. Times.
Quick takes over the Kings’ franchise lead in playoff wins with 27, moving one ahead of Kelly Hrudey.
He also has three shutouts in these playoffs, which is tops in the NHL.
In fact, a quick glance at the stats shows Quick the leader in three additional major categories, including wins (7 – tied with Jimmy Howard and Tuukka Rask); goals-against average (1.50); and save percentage (.948).
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)