May 24, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
For just the second time in 27 games, Anze Kopitar put the puck to the back of the net in a National Hockey League game.
For the L.A. Kings, this one was pivotal. Kopitar broke a scoreless deadlock with 1:52 remaining in the second period on a mad scramble to the side of San Jose Sharks’ goalie Antti Niemi.
The Kings went on to win the game by a final score of 3-0, and now have a 3-2 series lead over the Sharks in the best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal.
The Kings, defending Stanley Cup champs, are one win away from a berth in the conference final.
If Kopitar was jumping for joy about the goal, he did a pretty good job hiding his emotions afterward.
“It felt great to get us on the board. It doesn’t matter who does it, as long as we do it,” said Kopitar, as per a tweet from Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register.
It was actually Kopitar’s second goal of these playoffs. But he went the final 16 games of the regular season without scoring, dating all the way back to March 25.
Dec 20, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
James van Riemsdyk scored on Mike Smith… we think.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He went two years between NHL contests.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger believes it’s likely.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
Pittsburgh defenseman returned to practice on Friday.
Dec 20, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
Will take on the Devils in Jersey.
Dec 20, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
“We have players turning right back into the defensemen when he’s already committed to the hit.”
Dec 20, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Acquired from Edmonton yesterday.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:55 AM EST
“You want ‘em both?”
Dec 20, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
Four straight solid starts for the 36-year-old veteran who fell on hard times last season.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
He’ll face the Panthers tonight.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
Canucks lost 4-1 to Dallas last night.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
Meanwhile, Darryl Sutter says it shouldn’t have been a major penalty.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
Impressing a legend is lofty praise.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:36 AM EST
He won the Stanley Cup and an Olympic bronze medal.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl was injured on the play.
Dec 20, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EST
Patrick Marleau spoiled it.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
The Kings captain was suspended in April.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
Not slacking off following that contract extension.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Toronto won 2-1 (SO).
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 25
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 61
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 62
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)