May 24, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
For just the second time in 27 games, Anze Kopitar put the puck to the back of the net in a National Hockey League game.
For the L.A. Kings, this one was pivotal. Kopitar broke a scoreless deadlock with 1:52 remaining in the second period on a mad scramble to the side of San Jose Sharks’ goalie Antti Niemi.
The Kings went on to win the game by a final score of 3-0, and now have a 3-2 series lead over the Sharks in the best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal.
The Kings, defending Stanley Cup champs, are one win away from a berth in the conference final.
If Kopitar was jumping for joy about the goal, he did a pretty good job hiding his emotions afterward.
“It felt great to get us on the board. It doesn’t matter who does it, as long as we do it,” said Kopitar, as per a tweet from Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register.
It was actually Kopitar’s second goal of these playoffs. But he went the final 16 games of the regular season without scoring, dating all the way back to March 25.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)