May 24, 2013, 1:24 AM EST
The L.A. Kings are one win away from a berth in the Western Conference final.
The Kings, defending Stanley Cup champions, were by far the better team in a 3-0 win over the San Jose Sharks in Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinal. The Kings now lead the best-of-seven series 3-2.
Here are some talking points.
- Every game in this series has been won by the home team. So, Game 6 is in San Jose. Either the Kings buck the trend, or there’s a Game 7.
- Speaking of home ice advantage: the last time the Kings lost a playoff game at home was Game 4 of the 2012 Stanley Cup Final. That’s seven straight post-season victories on home ice for L.A.
- Anze Kopitar scored the game winner. It was also just his second goal in the last 27 games. Quality over quantity, at least in this case.
- Jason Demers returned to the Sharks lineup, playing his first game since April 18. His excitement may have got the best of him. He was called for boarding after running Kings’ defenseman Robyn Regehr into the boards. We would’ve also accepted charging as a call.
- Jonathan Quick now has three shutouts in these playoffs. Returning to Conn Smythe form. Oh, and he also passed Kelly Hrudey for most playoff wins in franchise history with 27.
- Sharks couldn’t generate much offensively. Eleven shots through two periods, 24 in total. Quick didn’t have to do anything extraordinary in this one, say for the stop on Joe Pavelski with 40 seconds remaining in the third period.
Dec 22, 2014, 12:16 AM EST
He’s the oldest goalie to win his debut since Hugh Lehman in 1926.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:38 PM EST
Buffalo suffered its third straight loss.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:07 PM EST
Toronto has lost three straight games.
Dec 21, 2014, 9:42 PM EST
Will this be the worst season Edmonton has ever had?
Dec 21, 2014, 9:09 PM EST
Varlamov is expected to be back on Tuesday.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
Bartkowski received a game misconduct.
Dec 21, 2014, 7:39 PM EST
The Stars swapping goaltenders didn’t slow Edmonton.
Dec 21, 2014, 6:48 PM EST
He had been playing with Patrick Kane and Kris Versteeg.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
The Hurricanes are getting close to full strength.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Will Calvin Pickard be sent to the minors once Varlamov is healthy?
Dec 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Rob Zepp makes NHL debut
Dec 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Collapsed on the team’s bench Saturday night.
Dec 21, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Was fired by the Oilers Dec. 15.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
The 33-year-old was recalled Friday.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
The Penguins forward was penalized twice for embellishment on Saturday.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Torrey Mitchell and Tyson Strachan have been placed on IR
Dec 21, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
They’re not impressed with how Bylsma and his staff were treated.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
He called it “no big deal”
Dec 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Had just one goal in eight games prior to the injury.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:18 AM EST
Christopher Tanev scored the overtime winner on his birthday.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11