May 24, 2013, 1:24 AM EST
The L.A. Kings are one win away from a berth in the Western Conference final.
The Kings, defending Stanley Cup champions, were by far the better team in a 3-0 win over the San Jose Sharks in Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinal. The Kings now lead the best-of-seven series 3-2.
Here are some talking points.
- Every game in this series has been won by the home team. So, Game 6 is in San Jose. Either the Kings buck the trend, or there’s a Game 7.
- Speaking of home ice advantage: the last time the Kings lost a playoff game at home was Game 4 of the 2012 Stanley Cup Final. That’s seven straight post-season victories on home ice for L.A.
- Anze Kopitar scored the game winner. It was also just his second goal in the last 27 games. Quality over quantity, at least in this case.
- Jason Demers returned to the Sharks lineup, playing his first game since April 18. His excitement may have got the best of him. He was called for boarding after running Kings’ defenseman Robyn Regehr into the boards. We would’ve also accepted charging as a call.
- Jonathan Quick now has three shutouts in these playoffs. Returning to Conn Smythe form. Oh, and he also passed Kelly Hrudey for most playoff wins in franchise history with 27.
- Sharks couldn’t generate much offensively. Eleven shots through two periods, 24 in total. Quick didn’t have to do anything extraordinary in this one, say for the stop on Joe Pavelski with 40 seconds remaining in the third period.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)