May 24, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have addressed their goaltending situation for 2013-14, though it’s not in the manner many were expecting.
With the Sergei Bobrovsky negotiations at a standstill, the Jackets inked journeyman Curtis McElhinney to a one-year, one-way deal.
“Curtis is a solid pro who was one of the best goaltenders in the American Hockey League this past season” Jackets GM Jarmo Kekelainen said in a release. “He is a veteran goaltender with NHL experience and we believe he’s earned the opportunity to be a part of our team in 2013-14.”
McElhinney, 30, spent last year with Columbus’ AHL affiliate in Springfield, posting a 29-16-3 record with a 2.32 GAA and .923 save percentage — and a franchise-record nine shutouts.
He spent time with the Calgary, Anaheim, Ottawa and Phoenix organizations before joining Columbus, and has appeared in 69 career NHL contests.
That all but ensures he’ll be the BJ’s backup next season, a role that was filled by Steve Mason last season (until he was shipped to Philadelphia at the deadline), then Michael Leighton (who didn’t play a single game).
The move also comes on the same day when a report surfaced, claiming that KHL club SKA Saint Petersburg was preparing to make a big money offer for Bobrovsky’s services.
(Image courtesy Springfield Falcons)
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)