May 24, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
The ‘Hawks captain — when asked if the mood of his team was down following Thursday’s 2-0 loss to Detroit, putting Chicago in a 3-1 series deficit — replied as though everything was fine.
“What’s there to be down about?” he told the Chicago Tribune. “Dwelling on that and feeling sorry for ourselves isn’t going to do anything.”
Well, if there were some things to be down about, they might be:
— The Game 4 shutout was the first time Chicago had been blanked all season.
— The Game 4 loss was Chicago’s third in a row, the first time that’s happened all season.
— Chicago has scored two goals in its last 180 minutes of hockey.
— Combined, those three scored 42 goals during the regular season.
— The Blackhawks are facing elimination and could fail to advance past the second round for the third straight year.
Fair or not, most of this is falling on Toews’ shoulders. (Of note, Captain Serious had to be talked down by Brent Seabrook after taking his third penalty of the second period last night.)
He’s the captain — and a good one at that — but, for what feels like the first time in his career, he’s getting heat from the Chicago fans and media.
Toews’ struggles are reminiscent of last year’s playoffs when Sidney Crosby lost his cool against the Flyers and the favored Penguins were eliminated in the first round.
Both players are young, Canadian captains with Stanley Cup rings and reputations for coming up big when it counts, whether representing club or country.
Of course, they’re also human.
To his credit, Toews continues to face adversity as best he can, trying to stay positive in what has to be one of the worst slumps of his career.
”As hard as we’re working, something’s got to go our way,” he explained. ”We’ve got to be positive.”
Jun 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
He played with four different NHL teams last season.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
It’s not all about the Zac Rinaldo trade, although that certainly didn’t help.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
He establish himself with the team after years of work primarily in the AHL.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
San Jose still has an opening on its blueline.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
He’ll start the season as Vancouver’s backup goaltender.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
They are now set to become unrestricted free agents.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly earn $1 million next season.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT
Toronto, Calgary and Pittsburgh are amongst the teams, which have reached out.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:54 PM EDT
The payment will be made on Wednesday.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
Bill Hay and Peter Karmanos Jr. are also going in as builders.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
Also inside is information about the potential cap recapture situation the Kings might be stuck with.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:53 PM EDT
Jun 29, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Processing Monday’s surprising termination.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Could make about a $15 million difference …
Jun 29, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
The 24-year-old’s three-year, $2.7 million deal is set to expire on Wednesday.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
If accurate, that’s $10.4M between Niemi and Kari Lehtonen.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
The 24-year-old was a pending restricted free agent.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Get your dog puns ready.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
He should draw plenty of free agent interest.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Both players can be bought out on Tuesday, if they clear.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)