May 24, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
The ‘Hawks captain — when asked if the mood of his team was down following Thursday’s 2-0 loss to Detroit, putting Chicago in a 3-1 series deficit — replied as though everything was fine.
“What’s there to be down about?” he told the Chicago Tribune. “Dwelling on that and feeling sorry for ourselves isn’t going to do anything.”
Well, if there were some things to be down about, they might be:
— The Game 4 shutout was the first time Chicago had been blanked all season.
— The Game 4 loss was Chicago’s third in a row, the first time that’s happened all season.
— Chicago has scored two goals in its last 180 minutes of hockey.
— Combined, those three scored 42 goals during the regular season.
— The Blackhawks are facing elimination and could fail to advance past the second round for the third straight year.
Fair or not, most of this is falling on Toews’ shoulders. (Of note, Captain Serious had to be talked down by Brent Seabrook after taking his third penalty of the second period last night.)
He’s the captain — and a good one at that — but, for what feels like the first time in his career, he’s getting heat from the Chicago fans and media.
Toews’ struggles are reminiscent of last year’s playoffs when Sidney Crosby lost his cool against the Flyers and the favored Penguins were eliminated in the first round.
Both players are young, Canadian captains with Stanley Cup rings and reputations for coming up big when it counts, whether representing club or country.
Of course, they’re also human.
To his credit, Toews continues to face adversity as best he can, trying to stay positive in what has to be one of the worst slumps of his career.
”As hard as we’re working, something’s got to go our way,” he explained. ”We’ve got to be positive.”
Apr 19, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
It’s his second of the series.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Puck drop is at 3 p.m. ET
Apr 19, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He has his second of these playoffs.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:36 PM EDT
Andrew Desjardins could also be in for Chicago.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Was injured on a hit from Kyle Okposo.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:51 PM EDT
He missed the second game of the series with an upper body injury.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Puck drop is at 12 p.m. ET on NBC.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:06 AM EDT
Neil replaces Chiasson on Ottawa’s fourth line.
Apr 19, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
He’s missed six games with a right hand injury.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
Changes in the crease the theme of the day.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
It will be interesting to see what happens as this series heads to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Series shifts back to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Had a dominant performance in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”
Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored twice and that helps.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)