May 24, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
The ‘Hawks captain — when asked if the mood of his team was down following Thursday’s 2-0 loss to Detroit, putting Chicago in a 3-1 series deficit — replied as though everything was fine.
“What’s there to be down about?” he told the Chicago Tribune. “Dwelling on that and feeling sorry for ourselves isn’t going to do anything.”
Well, if there were some things to be down about, they might be:
– The Game 4 shutout was the first time Chicago had been blanked all season.
– The Game 4 loss was Chicago’s third in a row, the first time that’s happened all season.
– Chicago has scored two goals in its last 180 minutes of hockey.
– Combined, those three scored 42 goals during the regular season.
– The Blackhawks are facing elimination and could fail to advance past the second round for the third straight year.
Fair or not, most of this is falling on Toews’ shoulders. (Of note, Captain Serious had to be talked down by Brent Seabrook after taking his third penalty of the second period last night.)
He’s the captain — and a good one at that — but, for what feels like the first time in his career, he’s getting heat from the Chicago fans and media.
Toews’ struggles are reminiscent of last year’s playoffs when Sidney Crosby lost his cool against the Flyers and the favored Penguins were eliminated in the first round.
Both players are young, Canadian captains with Stanley Cup rings and reputations for coming up big when it counts, whether representing club or country.
Of course, they’re also human.
To his credit, Toews continues to face adversity as best he can, trying to stay positive in what has to be one of the worst slumps of his career.
”As hard as we’re working, something’s got to go our way,” he explained. ”We’ve got to be positive.”
Dec 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
After 22 years, the Finnish Flash called it a day.
Dec 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
From down 0-3 to winning it all.
Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Over 105,000 descended on Ann Arbor for an unforgettable experience.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Even a disappointing Olympic finish can’t erase a star-making moment.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Was quite the playoff run for L.A. and its 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Check back often. It’s an all-day thing.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)