May 23, 2013, 12:50 AM EST
Ottawa forced Game 3 on Sunday to overtime on the strength of Daniel Alfredsson‘s shorthanded goal. The Senators ended up winning that contest in double overtime to reduce Pittsburgh’s series lead to 2-1.
Things obviously didn’t go nearly as well for them in Game 4, but the Senators looked good at first.
Mere minutes into tonight’s contest and down a man, Alfredsson fed the puck to Milan Michalek in the Senators’ zone. Michalek charged past the Penguins’ defenders and potted a shorthanded goal to give Ottawa a 1-0 lead:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Pittsburgh fought back and had a 4-2 lead as they approached the midway point of the third. Ottawa was given a chance to cut the led in half after Penguins defenseman Matt Niskanen was charged for tripping.
You can see both of those goals below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 7
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)