May 23, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
Ottawa forced Game 3 on Sunday to overtime on the strength of Daniel Alfredsson‘s shorthanded goal. The Senators ended up winning that contest in double overtime to reduce Pittsburgh’s series lead to 2-1.
Things obviously didn’t go nearly as well for them in Game 4, but the Senators looked good at first.
Mere minutes into tonight’s contest and down a man, Alfredsson fed the puck to Milan Michalek in the Senators’ zone. Michalek charged past the Penguins’ defenders and potted a shorthanded goal to give Ottawa a 1-0 lead:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Pittsburgh fought back and had a 4-2 lead as they approached the midway point of the third. Ottawa was given a chance to cut the led in half after Penguins defenseman Matt Niskanen was charged for tripping.
You can see both of those goals below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)