May 23, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
Ottawa forced Game 3 on Sunday to overtime on the strength of Daniel Alfredsson‘s shorthanded goal. The Senators ended up winning that contest in double overtime to reduce Pittsburgh’s series lead to 2-1.
Things obviously didn’t go nearly as well for them in Game 4, but the Senators looked good at first.
Mere minutes into tonight’s contest and down a man, Alfredsson fed the puck to Milan Michalek in the Senators’ zone. Michalek charged past the Penguins’ defenders and potted a shorthanded goal to give Ottawa a 1-0 lead:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Pittsburgh fought back and had a 4-2 lead as they approached the midway point of the third. Ottawa was given a chance to cut the led in half after Penguins defenseman Matt Niskanen was charged for tripping.
You can see both of those goals below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)