May 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Multiple sources are telling Fox Sports Arizona that the Phoenix Coyotes are close to awarding general manager Don Maloney with a new contract.
From the report:
Maloney’s contract was set to expire on June 30, and it was originally thought that he would not receive a new deal until the franchise’s current owner, the NHL, had found a new owner. But the league, recognizing the importance of having a general manager for the upcoming NHL Draft, free agency and myriad other reasons, took care of one very important order of business.
The next step, sources say, is to work out a deal with coach Dave Tippett, whose contract also expires on June 30, before turning their attention to negotiations with goalie Mike Smith, who is believed to be asking for a long-term contract with an annual payment between $6 million and $7 million.
For Coyotes fans worried about the still-NHL-owned franchise relocating this offseason, we suppose the news is encouraging.
That being said, given all that’s happened with this team, we hesitate to call it indisputable proof there will be hockey in the desert for years to come. There’s always the possibility Maloney gets an out clause in his new deal. And if he doesn’t, hey, having a job in Quebec City is better than being unemployed, right?
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)