May 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Multiple sources are telling Fox Sports Arizona that the Phoenix Coyotes are close to awarding general manager Don Maloney with a new contract.
From the report:
Maloney’s contract was set to expire on June 30, and it was originally thought that he would not receive a new deal until the franchise’s current owner, the NHL, had found a new owner. But the league, recognizing the importance of having a general manager for the upcoming NHL Draft, free agency and myriad other reasons, took care of one very important order of business.
The next step, sources say, is to work out a deal with coach Dave Tippett, whose contract also expires on June 30, before turning their attention to negotiations with goalie Mike Smith, who is believed to be asking for a long-term contract with an annual payment between $6 million and $7 million.
For Coyotes fans worried about the still-NHL-owned franchise relocating this offseason, we suppose the news is encouraging.
That being said, given all that’s happened with this team, we hesitate to call it indisputable proof there will be hockey in the desert for years to come. There’s always the possibility Maloney gets an out clause in his new deal. And if he doesn’t, hey, having a job in Quebec City is better than being unemployed, right?
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)