May 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Multiple sources are telling Fox Sports Arizona that the Phoenix Coyotes are close to awarding general manager Don Maloney with a new contract.
From the report:
Maloney’s contract was set to expire on June 30, and it was originally thought that he would not receive a new deal until the franchise’s current owner, the NHL, had found a new owner. But the league, recognizing the importance of having a general manager for the upcoming NHL Draft, free agency and myriad other reasons, took care of one very important order of business.
The next step, sources say, is to work out a deal with coach Dave Tippett, whose contract also expires on June 30, before turning their attention to negotiations with goalie Mike Smith, who is believed to be asking for a long-term contract with an annual payment between $6 million and $7 million.
For Coyotes fans worried about the still-NHL-owned franchise relocating this offseason, we suppose the news is encouraging.
That being said, given all that’s happened with this team, we hesitate to call it indisputable proof there will be hockey in the desert for years to come. There’s always the possibility Maloney gets an out clause in his new deal. And if he doesn’t, hey, having a job in Quebec City is better than being unemployed, right?
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)