May 23, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
The architect of Team USA’s silver medal-winning team in Vancouver won’t get to go for gold in Sochi.
On Tuesday, Toronto’s Sportsnet Fan 590 host Mike Brady reported that Brian Burke wouldn’t be back to reprise his GM role for the Americans at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Here’s more, from Brady’s Twitter account:
Two things of note – 1) Burke was told, as suspected, USA Hockey wants a current NHL GM (Poile a strong candidate)….
— Greg Brady (@bradyfan590) May 23, 2013
2) Burke definitely wanted the job – obviously he made a huge commitment to after his son’s tragic passing. Might be a mistake by USA Hockey
— Greg Brady (@bradyfan590) May 23, 2013
Burke, fired from his post as Toronto GM in January, was praised for the team he constructed for the 2010 games in Vancouver, relying on a younger, albeit largely untested internationally group — many of which were making their senior team debuts.
“It’s going to be a different generation of players that a lot of people in the U.S. aren’t going to be able to recognize,” Burke said at the time. “For some of these guys, it will be their first foray onto the international stage. I think we may have some names that people won’t recognize because we need some sand in the lineup.”
The Americans proceeded to cruise through the opening group stage, posting a perfect 3-0-0 record while outscoring opponents — which included Canada — by a combined 14-5 score.
From there, the Americans defeated Switzerland 2-0 in the quarterfinals and Finland 6-1 in the semis to meet Canada in the gold medal game, which the Canadians won in overtime.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
“Nobody benefits from a short-term deal like this, in particular, our hockey department.”
Jul 30, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Vancouver wasting little time locking up the target of Tuesday’s trade.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Boston could use some depth on its back end.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Hearing is scheduled for Friday at 9 a.m. ET.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Alleged incident involved a female victim.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
As opposed to just his skill.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The former general manager “wasn’t prepared to make the changes that needed to be made.”
Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
The 24-year-old gives agreed to an entry-level deal.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Will he live up to his next contract?
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
“It really wasn’t about Dainius himself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
His collection can be had for $5.7 million.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
The contest will air on Dec. 31 while the Classic itself is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Jan. 1.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Staying healthy would help, too.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
The Seal Beach Detention Center isn’t exactly Shawshank.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
“I relaxed down there and came back with the same attitude and everything kind of took care of itself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Veteran forward had just four goals and six assists in 74 games last season.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
“So hopefully it’s nothing that keeps coming back.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Can he give the Oilers the goaltending they so badly need?
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)