May 23, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
The architect of Team USA’s silver medal-winning team in Vancouver won’t get to go for gold in Sochi.
On Tuesday, Toronto’s Sportsnet Fan 590 host Mike Brady reported that Brian Burke wouldn’t be back to reprise his GM role for the Americans at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Here’s more, from Brady’s Twitter account:
Two things of note – 1) Burke was told, as suspected, USA Hockey wants a current NHL GM (Poile a strong candidate)….
— Greg Brady (@bradyfan590) May 23, 2013
2) Burke definitely wanted the job – obviously he made a huge commitment to after his son’s tragic passing. Might be a mistake by USA Hockey
— Greg Brady (@bradyfan590) May 23, 2013
Burke, fired from his post as Toronto GM in January, was praised for the team he constructed for the 2010 games in Vancouver, relying on a younger, albeit largely untested internationally group — many of which were making their senior team debuts.
“It’s going to be a different generation of players that a lot of people in the U.S. aren’t going to be able to recognize,” Burke said at the time. “For some of these guys, it will be their first foray onto the international stage. I think we may have some names that people won’t recognize because we need some sand in the lineup.”
The Americans proceeded to cruise through the opening group stage, posting a perfect 3-0-0 record while outscoring opponents — which included Canada — by a combined 14-5 score.
From there, the Americans defeated Switzerland 2-0 in the quarterfinals and Finland 6-1 in the semis to meet Canada in the gold medal game, which the Canadians won in overtime.
Apr 21, 2015, 1:52 AM EDT
The Jets, and Winnipeg, feel the crush of defeat.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
Down 2-1 in the series.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Another comeback victory for Anaheim.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)