May 23, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
The architect of Team USA’s silver medal-winning team in Vancouver won’t get to go for gold in Sochi.
On Tuesday, Toronto’s Sportsnet Fan 590 host Mike Brady reported that Brian Burke wouldn’t be back to reprise his GM role for the Americans at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Here’s more, from Brady’s Twitter account:
Two things of note – 1) Burke was told, as suspected, USA Hockey wants a current NHL GM (Poile a strong candidate)….
— Greg Brady (@bradyfan590) May 23, 2013
2) Burke definitely wanted the job – obviously he made a huge commitment to after his son’s tragic passing. Might be a mistake by USA Hockey
— Greg Brady (@bradyfan590) May 23, 2013
Burke, fired from his post as Toronto GM in January, was praised for the team he constructed for the 2010 games in Vancouver, relying on a younger, albeit largely untested internationally group — many of which were making their senior team debuts.
“It’s going to be a different generation of players that a lot of people in the U.S. aren’t going to be able to recognize,” Burke said at the time. “For some of these guys, it will be their first foray onto the international stage. I think we may have some names that people won’t recognize because we need some sand in the lineup.”
The Americans proceeded to cruise through the opening group stage, posting a perfect 3-0-0 record while outscoring opponents — which included Canada — by a combined 14-5 score.
From there, the Americans defeated Switzerland 2-0 in the quarterfinals and Finland 6-1 in the semis to meet Canada in the gold medal game, which the Canadians won in overtime.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Retired Finnish star was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 1
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 10
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)