May 23, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
The architect of Team USA’s silver medal-winning team in Vancouver won’t get to go for gold in Sochi.
On Tuesday, Toronto’s Sportsnet Fan 590 host Mike Brady reported that Brian Burke wouldn’t be back to reprise his GM role for the Americans at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Here’s more, from Brady’s Twitter account:
Two things of note – 1) Burke was told, as suspected, USA Hockey wants a current NHL GM (Poile a strong candidate)….
— Greg Brady (@bradyfan590) May 23, 2013
2) Burke definitely wanted the job – obviously he made a huge commitment to after his son’s tragic passing. Might be a mistake by USA Hockey
— Greg Brady (@bradyfan590) May 23, 2013
Burke, fired from his post as Toronto GM in January, was praised for the team he constructed for the 2010 games in Vancouver, relying on a younger, albeit largely untested internationally group — many of which were making their senior team debuts.
“It’s going to be a different generation of players that a lot of people in the U.S. aren’t going to be able to recognize,” Burke said at the time. “For some of these guys, it will be their first foray onto the international stage. I think we may have some names that people won’t recognize because we need some sand in the lineup.”
The Americans proceeded to cruise through the opening group stage, posting a perfect 3-0-0 record while outscoring opponents — which included Canada — by a combined 14-5 score.
From there, the Americans defeated Switzerland 2-0 in the quarterfinals and Finland 6-1 in the semis to meet Canada in the gold medal game, which the Canadians won in overtime.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
May 25, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
He played just eight shifts in Sunday’s win.
May 25, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Wagner or Fleischman could draw in tonight.
May 25, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (74)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)