May 23, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators signed Brendan Leipsic to a three-year entry-level contract on Thursday.
Leipsic, 19, tied for the WHL lead in scoring with 120 points (his Portland Winterhawks teammate Nicolas Petan shared the honors). The Predators made him their third-round pick (89th overall) in the 2012 NHL Draft.
“He’s a little bit (Jordin) Tootooish, a little bit Brad Marchand. I’m sure that the best description would be that he’s not fun to play against, probably the opposition doesn’t like him too much,” Poile said. “This is the guy you love but they hate. Not big in stature but plays really tough.”
Knowing the Preds system, it will probably take him some time to make a Marchand-type impact.
(Photo via the WHL.)
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)