May 23, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
“You have to have a good goalie to go anywhere in the playoffs and we have it,” said Zetterberg.
Howard — a 29-year-old that, in conversation at least, has never quite ascended into the elite category among NHL netminders — was brilliant in Games 2 and 3 versus the favored Blackhawks.
Howard stopped all but two of Chicago’s 60 combined shots in those two games, both Detroit victories, good for a save percentage of .967.
His save percentage in the playoffs is .923.
“He’s always had confidence, but there’s something different about it now,” said Wings general manager Ken Holland, per the New York Times. “He’s calmer, more assured. The play comes to him, and he knows what he needs to do.”
If Detroit sends Chicago packing, will Howard finally get the respect his teammates feel he deserves?
“I do hear some things at times about goalies in our city,” Zetterberg said. “I don’t know if it is a tradition here that you’re not really believing in your goaltending, but I don’t know what he needs to do to get people believing in him.
“We in here know he’s a really good goalie; it’s been shown.”
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 18
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)