May 23, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
After great speculation, the rumors are finally true — Patrick Roy is back with Colorado.
Roy, 47, has been named head coach and vice president of hockey operations for the Avalanche, the club announced on Thursday.
The hiring comes just a few days after Roy was rumored to have already accepted the job — granted, from a Facebook post from his brother, Stephane — and will reunite him with Joe Sakic, the executive vice president of hockey operations, who won a pair of Stanley Cups with Roy in Colorado in 1996 and 2001.
“This is a very exciting day for our fans and a significant moment in our organization’s history,” said Avalanche President Josh Kroenke in a statement. “Patrick’s passion for the game of hockey both as a player and as a coach defines who he is as a person.”
“This is an unbelievable day for me,” said Roy. “It’s a new and exciting challenge that I am really looking forward to.
“Almost 10 years to the day that I announced my retirement as a player I am back in Denver and hope the fans are as excited as I am.”
Roy retired as a member of the Avalanche on May 28, 2003.
Prior to taking the Colorado gig, the Hockey Hall of Fame netminder previously worked as the head coach and general manager of the QMJHL Quebec.
Roy guided the Remparts to a .640 winning percentage over the last eight years, and won the Memorial Cup in 2006.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 3
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)