May 23, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Saskatoon defenseman Dalton Thrower, Montreal’s second-round (51st overall) pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, has been suspended for the remainder of the 2013 Memorial Cup for a headshot on Portland’s Taylor Leier.
Leier, a draft pick of the Philadelphia Flyers, was caught with this fierce hit during a 4-2 win over Saskatoon on Wednesday:
Thrower wasn’t given a penalty on the play but was handed a stiff supplementary punishment by the National Hockey League hockey operations department, which handles disciplinary matters at the Memorial Cup.
As for Leier, he was admitted to hospital but released without requiring an overnight stay.
Portland head coach Travis Green, an ex-NHLer, wasn’t happy with the hit.
“I don’t have to keep watching it again,” Green said. “It’s pretty obvious when a player is out before he hits the ice. It’s basically a blow to the head.”
It sounds as of Leier will be held out of the remainder of the tournament as he’s dealing with “brain injury-like symptoms.”
Thrower’s suspension could last all of one game. Saskatoon plays London on Thursday in a loser-goes-home affair and London already beat the Blades in the tournament opener, 3-2.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 13
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)